What is your first reaction when your kid spills something/makes a mess?

-AJ

Asked by -AJ at 12:15 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• I depends on if he knows better or I've reminded him several times to be careful. If it's a once in a great while thing... "oops, help me clean up this mess". If it's recurring in a short period of time, he gets a talking to about being careful. He's almost 5.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I help them clean it up. Getting upset won't fix anything.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:16 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• *sigh* Then, was it on purpose or on accident? If it was an accident, usually my two year old is already upset enough. I get her towels and cleaner and tell her to clean it up (she's not very good at it but she tries.) I clean up whatever is left, give her a hug, and tell her to be more careful.
    If it was on purpose, which does happen sometimes, I will reprimand her, have her clean it up, spank her butt, and put her in time out until she can tell me she's sorry and what for.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 12:18 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• My first thought is how it is going to affect the child. Was it carelessness, an accident, or defiance. Get it cleaned up and don't make a big deal.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:21 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I tell them to go grab a towel out of the dirties. They made the mess, they clean it. :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:16 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• ah crap! lol that's what i think then i get out the paper towels
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:16 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Grab a towel
    Raindew

Answer by Raindew at 12:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Ooops! Oh well, accidents happen. Let's clean it up.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 12:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I help them clean it up. It gives me nightmares because when I was young, my mother would actually punish me when I spilled something and my poor dad would try to help me clean it up before she noticed. Unfortunately, I married my mother and my husband is the same way, so I make sure to get everything cleaned up before he notices.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 1:03 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• "You better clean that up!"
    I don't clean up after my kids. They make the mess, they clean it up. I get ticked if it spilled because they were screwing around, especially after I warned them to knock it off. In those cases they might end up grounded to their room for awhile...after cleaning up the mess.
    My 8yo just spilled a container of scrambled eggs all over the baby's blanket. She cleaned it up, I told her to put the blanket in the hamper and life went on.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:15 PM on Nov. 24, 2010