Splitting a babysitter with a friend...

A friend is getting a babysitter for her son tonight, we are dropping our kids off at her house and all going out together. What is fair when paying the babysitter? Should we pay more because we have 2 kids and my friend only has one? Or do we just figure what she should get per hour and split it? Does what she makes per hour make a difference because its 3 kids and not just one? Any insight would be helpful, want to do the right thing.

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 12:20 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think you should pay 2/3 of the total because you have 2 out of the 3 kids.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:22 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I would pay more since you have two kids and your friend has one. I would pay an extra dollar or two per hour since you have the extra child.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:23 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Definitely pay extra for three kids. Age of kids might enter into it too. Don't take advantage of the babysitter.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:23 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• It depends on the kids ages, and how the sitter charges. If the sitter is charging your friend the rate she normally charges, then splitting the fee would be fair. If she does charge extra, I would just make up the difference. Have a great time!!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:23 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Kids are 2.5, 3.5 and 5.5.... what's a good rate?
    gramsmom

Comment by gramsmom (original poster) at 12:25 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• If it's a sitter your friend has used before then she will likely know the expected rate. Additional children after the first one don't always increase the cost by the same amount as the first child, but you should pay 2/3 of the total no matter how the rate is figured. I've generally paid $10 per hour for two toddlers and rounded up to the next hour for the tip, and the sitters I have used acted like that was pretty generous; it could be very different where you live.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I would give her $10 per hour total. So you give $6 per hour and your friend gives $4.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I used to babysit like that. Everyone just paid the their normal rate. so if I watched two families and one usually paid me $5 an hour and the other usually paid $6 an hour, it ended up being $11 an hour. But they didnt put the money together or anything, they just each paid seperatly.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 12:57 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Did she know she was taking care of three kids from the start? If yes, then you should pay 2/3. If you guys are just springing the additional kids on her, then I would definately give her extra cash.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 12:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2010