Should we make an appearance?

I get along with my FIL, but DH's sisters are really tough cookies. I really need to fake it around them. Their sarcastic humor is pretty offending at times especially since they are all stick and bones and always find a way to throw in the fat jokes for some occasion. I, of course, slowly start to feel my insides curling up in a ball because I am the only big person in the room.

They have been asking if we will show up for tomorrow, and the only reason I kinda want to go is for my FIL. I know it will make him feel good to have his 3 children together especially since he's been having a dramatic separation from his wife for the past year. BUT the situation is always awkward to me. We went last year and DH & one of his sisters were going at it right before we sat down to eat that I had to tell him to shut cuz it was going nowhere and I had to remind him to be the bigger person and let her be the drama queen that he is.

Should we make an appearance?

Again, I sympathize with FIL because I am a parent and I would want to have my kids there on important holidays, but I have a problem with putting my feeling first. My grandma is having her annual get together but because of her dementia we will be getting together at 2pm which would allow time if we decide to go with DH's side.

simpleesr23

Asked by simpleesr23 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• i would go... i would see it as "fair" to google "skinny jokes" and randomly (rudely) drop them around the too skinny sil's .... they seem to need a taste of their own meds - they will keep picking on you until you punk them down. and yes go - hang out with fil until you cannot stand them anymore, then be really nice to him when you leave.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:29 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• i'd go to be supportive of my fil, i would ask my dh to handle his sisters or i'd handle it myself and it wouldn't be pretty.. i don't take alot of crap off rude people GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Make a short appearance.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:25 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Can you go when the sisters are not there?
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Unfortunately, the dinner will be at one of the sister's house.
    simpleesr23

Comment by simpleesr23 (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• like - your so skinny you have to run around in the shower to get wet. i can access many of the sites because i am at work and they blocked them :( but there are a million!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:30 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I would make a short appearance since you do like your FIL. I really don't like any of hubby's family and we are still going there for Thanksgiving (if we don't they come here) because hubby feel obligated to be there for his mom after his dad passed away. But, before that we had to go every year because his dad was sick so we haven't had a holiday with my "wonderful" MIL since we've been married. )c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:30 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Make an appearance for the sake of the FIL and the minute someone says something rude, make a hasty exit. Make is obvious like "well...with that said...we will be seeing you all next year or maybe not...good night."
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 12:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I would go for dessert, that way when you have had enough of their attitudes, you can say that the kids have to get to bed & you have to go. Spend time with your FIL while the wicked sisters put out dessert! LOL! Then I would try every dessert that there is & smile with my mouth full!!! Be all laughs & that will piss them off that they are not aggravating you. Have a great Thanksgiving! :)

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:00 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• If at all possible do it for the your FIL as you have written it means more to him then awkward feeling of the skeletons. Know that in the long run you don't have to live with them and if it only for this night . Talk to your husband come up with some werid facial expression or gestures to keep one another laughing. Then have a break out word something that let's one another know that you need to get out . Of a war of words will break out we only have our parents for a short time I would try to enjoy him as long as thing do not get totally out of hand.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 4:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2010