RUDE co-worker...or maybe just a man?

Ok, I work with all men. I am office manager. My desk is sadly on the wall next to the door of the warehouse. It is freezing in here in the winter. I have no thyroid gland,they know this, and have trouble dealing with cold temps. So, in the winter esp when they have the big over head door up, I ask them to make sure they keep the inside door closed when they go in and out. One guy I work with NEVER EVER closes the door. He is kind of a dick anyway. I posted a note on the door to remind them to close it. They are pretty good about it except for this one guy. I almost feel like he is doing it just to piss me off..and its working!
What would you do? Should I say something to him, or just keep getting out of my chair and closing the door behind his stupid ass?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 12:23 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Can you add a spring or something to the door so it will shut itself? It sounds like he is being a jerk to me.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I would tell him and politely close the door while he is still in the way.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:25 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• What a jackass! Yes, say something!
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 12:25 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Say something in a polite way to let him know you'd really appreciate it if he could close that door. If he still doesn't listen, I don't know that there's really much you can do. I don't think it's a man thing, I think it's just a RUDE thing. I've had female co-workers who were like that, too.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 12:25 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• if youre the manager you should talk to him, tell him that that wastes the energy and he is losing this company money
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:26 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• He's being a jerk. Remind him EVERY TIME. And ask whoever handles maintenance to put a spring n the door so it closes automatically. Hopefully hitting Jerk in the butt when he leaves!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:27 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• sounds like he is being an ass. Maybe you can jokingly ask him "hey, were you raised in a barn?" Then say "i'm freezing, shut the dang door"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Is it possble to move your desk? I would sit him down and talk with him, nicely asking him to close the door when he exits the office. Maybe you shoud take this to upper management.
    shabbypink123

Answer by shabbypink123 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I would say something directly to him but stir up a pleasant conversation, maybe about his kids & christmas first. Kill him with kindness first then if he is still a dick, approach him again then go to your Supervisor since it is for health reasons. Maybe they can move your desk or put a spring on the door like someone else had said. I worked with all men to for 13 years & sometimes you just have to be a bitch to get what you want. Often men resent a Woman doing a job they do, but that's their problem not yours. Good Luck.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:32 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I would say this

"hey, in case you didnt know, my thyroids are whacked & i get super cold real easy. That's why i've been bugging y'all to keep the door closed. I hate to be a pest about it, but i would really appreciate it if that door stay closed always. Otherwise, I'll be sitting in here freezing my butt off."

If after telling that to his face, if he did NOT continue doing it, i would yell out my door "Don't forget to shut that door please" when he came through. and if he still did not, i would ask him if he actually expects me to shut the door for him. If he says yes, then i would suspend him for the day or a week because that is rude as fucking shit & you're the office manager who has authority over him. If he wants to be a total dick, he is going to have to get repremanded for it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2010