It's time to renew my car insurance...

and Allstate is trying to rape me. Can't get Statefarm...any suggestions?

ShouldHaveLeft

Asked by ShouldHaveLeft at 12:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• Lots of suugestions.... Allstate is outrageous. Call an independant agent, they can quote you with several companies and get you the lowest possible. Safeco is pretty good right now, The Hartford, and Titan is even good if you don't have a home/auto package. Independant agents are best because every renewal they can quote you and give you the best rates possible. Allstate, Farmers, State Farm are NOT independant, they only sell their name. Good luck. (I am an independant agent but this is true I swear it.)
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• i like Geico!!!
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 12:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• We had Allstate until last year. Every 6 months they would try to jack up the rates by a huge amount, only to have us call and try to cancel and they would reset our rates to the previous 6 months. I finally got tired of dealing with them and went through a local agent who found me a good rate with Travelers. We've dealt with Progressive twice for accident claims (the other driver was insured through Progressive and they were at fault) and they were awesome with the claims. With our business, Progressive was more expensive, but if you can get a good rate through them, they have great customer service and offered more for our wrecked vehicles than Allstate did.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Travelers is good too... Progressive is pretty high and geico will jack up your rates even with one ticket.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:40 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I love Geico. They are so easy to deal with.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:41 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• You do know you don't have to wait until renewal time to change car insurance.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:08 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Shop around. When I was single and switched my insurance from the company my parents always used Progressive gave me the lowest rate.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I've heard Progressive is good> I persoanlly like having an agent. I have statefarm and I love it!!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 2:55 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• We have Allstate too and we LOVE them! We've had them for about five years and every six months the cost drops except one time they raised it...

The weird thing is that different agents will offer you different prices partially based on how much they want to earn. So it might be worth it to stay with Allstate, but to find another agent in your area.

And of course, shop around! Maybe it won't be worth it to stick with Allstate!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:11 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• We have allstate and love it. Our rates go down every 6 months. Usually b/c of credit rating or more discounts.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2010