Does anyone really have an "open" marriage anymore?

They seemed really popular back in the 70's, and then last year there was that great too-short-lived show on CBS called "Swingers" that had open marriages, and I was just wondering if anyone still did that.
I don't think I could do it........
But if more people did, don't you think there would be less "cheating" since it would be an accepted practice of the marriage? I think some people only cheat for the thrill that they could get caught.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm in an open marriage but looking at getting a divorce for other reasons. But I'm still going to be in an open relationship.
    Some folks need the taboo, want the taboo to break so I really think if open marriages were common place, a lot of folks would be frustrated. There would be less cheating but in some ways a lot less sex too.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 3:22 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Of course, they are still around, but they haven't been too successful in staying together, this is why the trend died somewhat.

Answer by older at 1:03 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I know someone who is married and they are "swingers". I personally don't like to idea of it. I think it's disgusting.

He was married before, got divorced because he was always cheating. Married someone, she didn't like him cheating, so she agreed to be a swinger. They have soooo many kids between the two of them and I don't think it sets a positive example.

Again, I think it's truly disgusting.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• furthermore - why get married if you both want to sleep with other people? wouldn't it be easier and less emotionally painful to just stay single and do it? i always thought the point of marrying someone was to love *only* them til death do part.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• i dont believe in open marriages - imo they go against the sanctity of marriage and everything you stood there and vowed for. yea, there might be less cheating if it were widely accepted but it still would be violating your vows. jmho
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• The point of marriage is that you share things that only a married couple share. In my opinion, what hurts when a spouse cheats is not that he slip, fell and accidentally jabbed in dick in another women it that that action is meant for us (the wives) and us alone and he's just now shared a private part of our relationship with someone else so that action is not longer special for us. So to answer your question, open marriages don't work because if you marriage is open, then you don't really have a marriage.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 1:13 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• snackattack........ever heard of safe sex??!!?? This is 2010!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• It's called polygamy.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:25 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Thats not a marriage to me.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• No, MrsLeftlane, it's not! Night & Day difference, since the woman is free to do what she wants, too.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Nov. 24, 2010