My daughter just hit her head...blood....

My daughter and son were running around playing and my son accidentally pushed her back and my daughter hit her head on the corner sharp part of my dresser. Blood was gushing at first all over. I finally got it cleaned up and there is only a small bump and pencil eraser sized spot where blood was coming from. The bleeding has stopped and she says it only hurts when I touch the area. She seems completely fine. Should I take her to the Dr. to get her checked out or just wait and see if any signs appear? I know she should take a nap anytime after this now....which is fine because she doesn't usually. The amount of blood just made me really worry!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• They say that the bad hits in the head come from the back not the front, it also bleeds a lot. Just keep an eye out for any changes, Ouch! poor baby!

Answer by older at 1:05 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• if she seems fine than keep her home and keep an eye on her.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 1:06 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Head wounds bleed profusely!! My youngest daughter threw a big metal "thing" at my oldest and busted her head open! It was GUSHING blood! I took her to the ER and they cleaned it up and it was a teeny speck of a injury.. They told me that amount of blood is normal for head injuries. As long as she is acting normal..i wouldn't worry to much about it .
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:06 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Head wounds always bleed bad I learned this working in a nursing home I would just keep an eye on her
    Raindew

Answer by Raindew at 1:07 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• i definitely would not put her to sleep just yet. keep her awake for a while and watch her.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:08 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Yep, "older" is right. Head wounds bleed a lot & look worse than they are. I'm sure she's fine. But if it would make you feel better, see if she's easy to wake after an hour nap. I had to try to wake my son up every hour after a mild concussion. I'm sure she'll be fine tho. Lots of mommy kisses help too :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I know she should take a nap anytime after this now....which is fine because she doesn't usually

i am curious what makes you say this. it is not really normal for a child to take a nap after a head injury - usually people are told to NOT let a child go to sleep for a while.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 1:12 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Don't let her sleep until your 100% sure shes fine. If you have any doubts play it safe and take her to the ER. But it shouldn't be any issue.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 2:08 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• My son did this when he was little and the hospital said if they do fall asleep, it is okay, you just need to be sure that you wake them every so often and be sure they know their name and your name and stuff. They also said, swelling is a good thing. They told me when they have an injury to the head and there is no swelling, that is when they are concerned.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 2:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• the head bleeds alot.... keep an eye on her, chances are she's fine.
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2010