Follow up to when to say enough question.

Okay, so they do think it is cancer but has not spread. They are wanting to remove his lymph nodes at $1,400.

I feel like an awful person! I am hating and resenting this dog. I love him so much and he has brought so much joy to our lives but I am really starting to resent him. He is all ove 2 1/2 years old and we are on our fourth $1,500 surgery and that does not include the mange treatment, antibiotics for infections, shots and other stuff. We live barely paycheck to paycheck. We can't afford this! I know we can come up with the money and our vet will take payments but come on, I can't help but to wonder what $1500 surgery is he going to need in six months because there WILL be another surgery. I have never in my life seen a dog who has had the issues this dog has had. Even with the surgeries, infections and mange he has never been in pain except for the 3 months with the eye pressure build up. He has had a wonderful life and every thing a dog could dream of. I just can't take this anymore.

I tried to keep my feelings to myself because I know it is tearing my husband up inside but I exploded, which now makes my husband feel so much worse. He has left to go and pick scooby up from the vet and is going to talk to him and ask for his advice. I feel like the lowest of the low and like pure scum. We adopted this dog and promised to always take care of him no matter what, but I never ever dreamt that we would drop almost $5000 on him and medical treatment in 2 1/2 years! This is killing me. They are sending him home with a stronger antibiotic (after we spent $300 last week on exams, tests and 3 antibiotics for him that did NOTHING). So I can't wait to see how much this bill is going to be for the tests they ran today and this new thing of antibiotics.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Pets

• omg! hang in there. i know things are tough especially in this economy. u and your hubbs are angels to that dog. bless u guys. i know it is tough to put him down. it seems like your dog is very strong and hanging in there. i bet he loves u guys alot and u and hubbs are his only family. my heart goes out to u and your hubby. you guys are amazing for spending so much $$$ on this dog. i bet this dog brings u guys alot of happiness thats y u take such good care of him. but the ultimate decision of what to do is up to u. good luck and i hope your pet/friend gets well soon.
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 2:49 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• O my....Honestly I would put the poor pup down and out of his misery. If he has this many problems he would be alot happier in doggy heaven.
    JakesCupcake

Answer by JakesCupcake at 1:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• That is what is so hard, with the exception of the Eye Pressure he has not really ever been in pain. He has always been so happy go luck. He is the happiest dog I have ever seen in my life and soooo soooo smart. That is why it is so hard, I know with all the issues he has had the only pain he has had is the eye pressure and now with the swollen lymph nodes.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• But who is to say that after you pay for this operation and it doesnt work...he might start to be in pain. That is a very hard...I Don't think the vet will give you good advice because he wants your money...Have you thought about getting a second opinion if you already haven't?
    JakesCupcake

Answer by JakesCupcake at 1:40 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• No trust me this vet will give his honest opinion. When the eye thing came up we had to rush him to a specialists. The specialists gave us her estimate for removing the eye and had in it sending the eye off for tests to see if the glaucoma was from genes or impact of the injury that caused the retina to tear. It added an additional $300 for testing. Our vet told us not to bother sending it off because in the end it would not matter. He said it would just be money wasted. He has always been that way. He tells us he can do this stuff if we want him to but he wouldn't advise it because it is just a waste of money. I trust this vet 100%.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• This is a hard situation. It sounds like this pup has had a pretty hard life. But you and your family have given him so much. From what you have said I am guessing that the vet suspects Lymphoma. If that is the case the prognosis is not good. Many dogs that are treated do not live that long after wards. I have a dog myself that is only a year old and had a pretty rough year becoming healthy. My vet does not think he will live past 6 years because of the shape his legs were in. They are still not 100% but you have to really look to see the abnormality now. She feels that Arthritis will cripple him earlier in life then it should. Until then he is happy and I am giving him the best life I can. You need to do the same for yours if it means letting him go as hard as that is that is the kindest thing you can do. It sounds like he has suffered enough in his life before he had you and your family.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:09 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Well, my husband spoke with our vet one on one (he had been seeing an associate vet but our vet owns so many clinics he is only at this one once every few days), anyways our vet cut the surgery down from $1400 to $500. He said that he did not agree with the associate, in sending the lymph nodes in for testing because it really wasn't going to matter then. He also told my husband that he would just make my husband pay for the supplies and a few other things but would donate his time since we have been such good puppy parents.

Our vet loves Scooby to death, he had a 3 legged dog when he was kid and the dog is what made him want to go into veterinary medicine, so I guess Scooby reminds him of his first dog. He also sent home a stronger antibiotic and said that there was a dog in a few weeks ago with the same symptoms and said the stronger antibiotics really helped this dog.

I am feeling soo much better.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:19 PM on Nov. 24, 2010