I hate the holidays, do you?

Just one more reason to look forward to Spring... My family is a dysfunctional mess, so none of us get together. It's heartbreaking really. Since our parents have been gone (deceased), none of us see each other. I have 3 sisters, we all have a combined 15 grandchildren, and we haven't been in the same room since 2005. Our kids don't even know each other. 2 of my sisters make it a point to get together, but don't call me or my other sister to let is know they're even in town... I just want tomorrow to go by ,and wish I could just stay in bed until it's over. It's not so much for me, it's for our boys, they don't know any of their family.... Sorry for the vent, just feeling sorry for myself...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Holidays

• I like the holidays with our small family - hubby and our daughters, but really don't enjoy any of the extended family junk we have to suffer through. His family is crazy (it still amazes me how he is such a great guy and nothing like the rest of them) and my family is spread all over the place and hasn't gotten together in about 15 years because of a falling out between my mom and one of her sisters. I hate that every single holiday we are required to see my MIL - if we stay home she comes here. She doesn't like her other kids too much (I told you hubby was the best of the bunch) so there is no suggesting she visit one of them. In the 16 years we have been married I have yet to spend a Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter or 4th of July without her. My favorite holiday is now Halloween, she doesn't expect us to come to her house for that one.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• More than U know
    LOVLYLOVEKGS

Answer by LOVLYLOVEKGS at 1:39 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Nah, don't feel that way. My extended family is like that too. I used to hate holidays with them. Everyone would be mad as someone and it would all end in a fight or argument. So, I moved. I moved, and never went to another family function again. Now, I only celebrate holidays with my immediate family- kids and grandkids. It's very nice and relaxing. That's not what the holidays are all about IMO. So, relax and enjoy your own children and make the most of the relaxing day off.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:41 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I am so sorry you feel this way and you do have a good reason to feel this way, but why not create a tradition yourself, and leave this for your kids so when they get older they will be tight with their families and siblings, and the same thing won't happen to them.

Answer by older at 1:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Awww well for me, I wish I was back in my country with my family
    I only hate the holidays because I'm not "home, home "

Hope you have a Happy TG... Happy Holidays.....
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 1:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Thank you m-avi... It's hard because our family was always together at the holidays and now for the past 5 yrs we've been on our own...I don't have grandkids yet, but I do look forward to our boys having their own families.. They are gonna hate me because I'm going to be all about the grandkids,lol...
    I guess I hurt for our boys, our 8 yr old asks about them all the time, and when the holidays come around he gets so sad because he knows he has cousins, but can't see them.. I think we all could learn something from him...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• They are a lot less stressful than they used to be.
    3gr8tKids

Answer by 3gr8tKids at 1:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Thank you ladies...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Have a great holiday.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• IM SORRY TO HEAR THAT HOLIDAYS HAVE BEEN HARD FOR YOU. ONE THING THAT I DID BECAUSE OF FAMILY ----- I TOOK CONTROL OF MY HOLIDAY ---- YOUR KIDS ARE YOUR NUMBER ONE TO MAKE SURE THEY HAVE A MEMORABLE HOLIDAY. MAKE YOUR OWN PLANS WITH YOUR OWN TRADITIONS THAT YOU AND YOUR KIDS COME UP WITH. YOU CAN MAKE A CHANGE FOR THE BETTER FOR YOU BECAUSE LIFE IS TOO SHORT AND CHRISTMAS IS A BEAUTIFUL TIME OF YEAR. I DON'T MEAN PRESENTS!!!!!!!! TEACH YOUR KIDS THE BETTER PART OF CHRISTMAS AND BE THE BETTER PERSON AND YOU WILL SHINE IN THE END.
    carrielynn78

Answer by carrielynn78 at 1:54 PM on Nov. 24, 2010