what does it mean if the baby is face up when u give birth

doctors dont like that, why what does that mean?

twimommy

Asked by twimommy at 1:55 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Ouch, it means the back of their head pushes on your tale bone and there is a greater chance of ripping. Sunny side up!
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• A posterior baby is harder to give birth to, causes back labor, and a greater chance of tearing since the largest past of their head comes out first.

All 3 of mine were sunny side up, so I have no frame of reference for pain. I had 3 NCBs, so it can't be that much worse.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• It means labor is going to be much longer and more difficult than 'normal'. Babies who are posterior are facing opposite the way they are meant to for vaginal delivery. The baby flexes its neck and turns following the birth canal normally. In a posterior birth this is much more difficult. Moms often have tremendpous back labor as well. Sometimes they get stuck and have to be delivered via c section. If they don't get stuck Mom will be pushing for a much longer time usually.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Pain!!!!!
    Lullababy

Answer by Lullababy at 2:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• @ grneyedgrandma~ I did have incredibly long labors, but it only took 3 good pushes (4 with my 3rd child, because I was exhausted) to birth them. I have to disagree with you, it is doctor led pushing that causes it to take so long. When we follow our instincts birth goes a lot smoother.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:05 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Two of mine were like that. It hurt my back...a lot! Even when I wasn't contracting my back hurt. Out of 6 times giving birth, those times are the ones I opted for an epidural. I did not tear with either of them though. In fact one of them (my last actually) I didn't even have an episotomy. The only time I tore was with my first (and he was in the "correct" position). He had his hand up next to his face. They cut me one direction & I tore the other direction. So, needless to say I had a whole bunch of stitches & a really hard time sitting for a while.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 2:12 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• "Doctors don't like that" well, lol, mostly because it's a longer labor overall...

Back labor is generally more painful, but moms can use a few strategies to better cope through.

I have seen surprise posteriors, so not always something "terrible."

There are prenatal ways to coax baby anterior, too.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:07 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• It is just a little harder on mom to get baby out and you probably will have back labor.... My first was like that, and I had tons of back labor... but other than that, it was fine.
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 3:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2010