Does anyone elses DD hate showers, brushing hair and teeth, etc.?

My girl's 7 almost 8 and HATES to shower, brush her hair and brush her teeth. She seems to have an interest in being pretty and looking cute, but she just can't figure out why I insist she takes care of her body and her appearance. Does anyone else have this problem with their daughter?

amyb99

Asked by amyb99 at 1:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Both my son and daughter went through this stage. It will pass. In my experience, you should be enjoying the bathroom time, because once this phase passes, the next one is "does anyone have a problem getting their DD OUT of the bathroom?" and "why does my dd take a 30 minute shower!". LOL
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 7:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• My daughter is only 4 so she hasn't hit that stage yet...she loves brushing her teeth & she takes baths, has only taken a few showers but she HATES having her hair combed/brushed. That's been going on for a year. I feel your pain momma!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:16 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• It's a water allergy, I think.

It is pretty typical for kids to go through a phase at some point (boys tend to do it simultaneously to needing deoderant, arg!) where they're averse to getting wet.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:10 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• my dd is 5 and hates brushing her teeth in the morning before school . i tell her that if she doesnt brush, she doesnt go to school or anywhere else.
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 6:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• It is just a stage that I am pretty sure most kids go through. Hang in there, it will get better and one day she will realize that she should shower and start doing so. A lot of times it only takes a friend saying "Ewwww you didn't shower" or "oh my your breath stinks" to do the trick.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 4:27 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• My niece is not interested in bathing, hair brushing, or any of that either. She cracks me up too. She just wants to play and is too "busy" for all that. I am sure as she gets older it will get better, but I think it is typical for boys and girls at that stage to just not be that worried about hygeine yet.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:24 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• my four year old does that too, i just hope it doesn't continue on. i would like to find a way to fix it.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 4:43 PM on Nov. 26, 2010