Sometimes I think my animals are going to make my head explode with bafflement. Why Why Why? I didn't grow up with dogs, so please enlighten me.. Yes, I've learned my lesson..

So the older female is sick today. She ate something that didn't agree and had diarrhea all over the living room. She's feeling better now.

The immediate aftermath that I didn't flush was in a trash bag, in another trash bag, that I threw on the front porch on top of the trash cans.. I thought.. I'll don gloves again, and clean the mess, after I've had a swallow of my morning tea and a bite of muffin. I get hypoglycemic easy and I figured I'd be less grumpy about it and do it better if I ate something and got woken up..

I blocked off the living room so my kid couldn't get out there and I get woken up a bit and let my other, younger female outside and then finish breakfast.

I forget about the trash bag.

I donned gloves again, cleaned the huge mess in the house with carpet shampooer 4x over with a toddler yelling at me to play the entire time, and finally remember to go outside to put trash in trashcan. MESS all over front porch.. Poopy paper towels and a very dirty LARGE hairy now stinky poopy dog. I cursed for the first time in a while. I have a swear jar I owe money to now.

Now there's another mess to clean and a dog to somehow give at bath to that doesn't fit in the bathtubs and it's only 40 degrees outside (she's comfty, she's a Saint and they can go in the barn if they need to). GREAT!

I thought in my morning haze.. and I guess lack of being aware of just how gross dogs are.. Poopy paper towels = safe from dog tearing/destroying.

Why on earth would the dog get into THAT?

And, tips please on bathing a 200 pound dog outdoors in the cold would be nice. Could I somehow siphon hot water to our barn or something? Should I call my SO? I don't want to bug him at work over this.

And, yes, I will laugh about this later but right now it's not funny..

JamesAndMe

Asked by JamesAndMe at 2:20 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Pets

• If your basement is not finished wash the dog down there. Use a bucket and soak the dog then shampoo and soak again.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Wow sounds like a hell of a situation. If you have a crate you can put the dog in the crate and take it to get bathed at a pet store like Petsmart so you dont have to put the dog through something like that in the cold it would not be good for her and she will probably get sick again.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 2:26 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Just take a few buckets of hot water out to the barn and bathe her there. Dogs LOVE everything smelly, I have no idea why, but I have had to wash poop off of my lab, too. Thankfully it's never too cold for a hose bath here. I would bring your dog in after her bath, though, at least until she's dry. Sorry your day started out poopy :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I think the problem you're having is that you think dogs, when full-grown, are adults. They're not. They're toddlers.

Just like toddlers, they have no way of even forming the concept 'disgusting' --everything is to explore, everything is on the same neutral plane. It smells like something new, it's a new texture, it's a different colour... it has no meaning, it has no implications.

To you, it's gross... it's work... it's potentially dangerous... but that's because you understand and can remember. Your dog can't anymore than any 2yo can.

Dogs, like toddlers, need constant supervision and constant reinforcement of their training, or it just disappears.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:27 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Did you say saint, as in St. Bernard? Ouch, she's a biggie then! Worse comes to worse, let your lovely help you this evening. If she can be comfy in the barn, let her stink it up until he gets home, and you two can figure out what to do.
    If you think you can bathe her out there with some warm water (put a hose from you hot tap in the house? it worked for me) then go for it, just get her dry as quickly as you can since she's used to being inside.
    They are designed for cold climates, and she should be just fine- They're working dogs, and getting wet in snow/rain/water in below freezing temps isn't uncommon for them.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• bhoward, the barn has a woodstove in it.. It's not like a hay-barn. It's a barn with farming equipment and tools in it. The barn is heated, the floor is cold in the barn but it's heated. It just has a hose, though. So the water would be icy. I guess "barn" is just the term I use cause it's red and looks like a barn. It's more a workshop. And this is a different doggy that is sick than the one that was sick .. The one that was sick is sleeping in the barn like normal.. She's fine now. I'm not bringing her inside for a while tho. ;)

I'll bring out some buckets of hot soapy water and buckets with hot clean water and then bathe her like that. It'll be quite the adventure tho, getting the soap out of a long-hair Saint Bernard with buckets. But, I am sure I can do it.. JOY of JOYS! ;) TY rhianna.

Linda, I grew up with lots of kitties.. I just don't get the nastiness, "they're like toddlers" makes sense. TY.
    JamesAndMe

Comment by JamesAndMe (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• *that isn't sick. She isn't sick. lol.. Well besides her sense of humor.
    JamesAndMe

Comment by JamesAndMe (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Obby, I went and looked around and can't find the hose-connector thing for the faucet. I'ma look again .. I wonder about leaving the door open when it's this cold tho. Hmm. Thread it through the window?? Man. DOGS.

Nah.. not after work.. I have too much darn cooking, baking, and prep to do and he has to entertain our son while I cook tonight.

Poor timing it being the day before T-day. So I'ma suck it up and just get it over with I guess... Sigh... haha

And yes she's a Saint Bernard. Spunky crazy dogs when they bother to do anything. Yeah, I know she'll be fine being wet out there, but I don't want to put very, very, cold well water on her for a lengthy period.
    JamesAndMe

Comment by JamesAndMe (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• This is why I do not like dogs. To me, dogs are stupid. Granted, my cats make a mess some times, too, but I never saw a cat RUN AT a skunk and get sprayed like my dog has done TWICE in one year. Yuck. I'd probably be puking if I were you, having to clean up dog poop on the dang dog! I'd spray her off as quickly as you could, to lessen the amount of time she's wet. Dry her off best you can, and let her back in unless she smells too bad.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 2:24 AM on Nov. 25, 2010