How many gifts do you typically buy for your children at Christmas?

Every year it seems that children are expected to get more and more under the tree- but my little girl already has so much stuff! She's only two, is it really necessary to fill my living room with gifts like my parents do each year?

LishaBee

Asked by LishaBee at 2:29 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Holidays

• Well that is the good thing about figuring this out now that your dd is only 2, that if you want to start out limiting the gifts, she wont know any difference and will be used to getting (whatever amount you think is right) If you get them tonnes and they are old enough to remember, thats when your in trouble. Since your the parent, you are able to keep it to the amount you want. At her age, she wont realy know whats going on.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 4:21 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I usually buy one kind of big thing...like a tricycle or something relatively more expensive and then 4-5 other smaller things. Then I buy some little trinkets to go in his stocking.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 2:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• When they were younger it was between 4 and 5 gifts. And the total cost was the same. Now that they are older (two out of the house, youngest is 19) they will get two gifts, again the total being the same. The youngest may get more as at that age the others were still getting 5 or so.
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• My parents do that also it drives me nuts.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 2:31 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• It depends on what they get. I usually spend about $300-$400 each on them. This year 2 of them want laptops so they will only get that and maybe 2 other small presents. My son who is 6 will probably get about 10 but everything he wants cost about $10-$20 each.
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• NOT TO BE RUDE BUT SHE IS TWO YEARS OLD. SHE PROBLY WOULDN'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE IF YOU WRAPED UP SOME OF THE TOYS SHE ALREADY HAS AND SHE WOULDN'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. SHE WELL GET ENOUGH FROM FAMILY, BUT REALLY DON'T STRESS OVER A PRESENT FOR A TWO YEAR OLD, MY KIDS LIKED THE EMPTY BOXES BETTER THEN THE TOY.
    carrielynn78

Answer by carrielynn78 at 2:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I buy 3 presents each and one joint gift.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 2:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I had no idea there was a "maximum" or "minimum" amount of toys on Christmas. You do what you want to do. Whether it is filling th whole room, or just a handful of toys. Its your Christmas, do what makes you happy, not stressed out.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 5:57 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I buy alot of clothes, mostly tops...they always need clothes...a few toys each, my mom always buys all of us way to much..
    JazzyJes

Answer by JazzyJes at 7:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Honestly, we don't put alot of focus on the gift part of Christmas...it's more about the family celebration in our family. Yes, we do buy gifts but we just don't go overboard.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2010