What are the odds of getting pregnant even though you use a condom every time? adult content

I'm 23 and have a 16 month old son. My fiance and I have only had sex like 3 or 4 times in the past 2 months. Every time we've used a condom and as far as we know, none of them have broke. Well I'm supposed to start my period any time now until the end of the month (its been kind of irregular since my son has been born) and for the past week, I've been feeling like I was going to start but it hasn't. This is what happened when I was pregnant with my son, I kept getting cramps like I was going to get my period, and it never happened. I've taken 2 pregnancy tests already and both were negative. What are my chances of being pregnant? We are getting married in June and $1,000s of dollars have been spent on the wedding already that we cannot get back..specfically on my wedding dress. I'm literally feeling like I'm going to pass out from the stress of this. I CANNOT be pregnant...it would ruin everything. But I wouldn't get an abortion if I was...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It is true that there is a 1-2% chance of the condom failing. This percentage however is based on proper usage and can change due to a variety of factors. So although it is possible, it is very unlikely. Although you are quite irregular, do you remember when your last period was? I would wait a few more days and test again. If it comes up negative and you are still in doubt, then it may be worth getting a blood test done at your doctor's office. The blood test can read the lowest levels of HCG and it is typically the most accurate. With that said, if you are indeed pregnant you can always get the dress taken out. I know when I start getting "paranoid" that I might be pregnant (even though we are still breast feeding and using condoms) I usually start mine. Take a deep breath and know that whatever the outcome, you can get through it one day at a time!
    Lillybean09

Answer by Lillybean09 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• You could always go to the hospitial and they can run tests to see if you are prego.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I want to say the chance, if used properly, is about 1 to 2% of getting pregnant with a condom. It's not likely that you are, but it has happened. The fact that you are stressing out about it so much, can also delay your period. This has happened to me before.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 2:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• The odds are not very likely, but possible.. have you thought about other forms of birth control? I'm in the same boat- getting married June 4th (Congrats!)- and am on the pill- keeping my fingers crossed for no surprises! But, the other thing I think about its well if it happens- there must be some higher reasoning for that baby being conceived, you know? Maybe you're just stressed? I bet you start within the next few days :)
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 2:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Thanks lishabee. All birth control pills make me sick...I've tried every kind there is, which is why I'm not on the pill now. But I supposed if I'm not pregnant, it'd be worth it to be sick for a few months than get pregnant. Congratulations to you too!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• OK if you are overly stressed or have become more or less physically active your period could be off by even up to weeks or you could just miss a month all together. If you are stressing about being pregnant and think you are then your body could trick itself into showing signs of pregnancy even up to weight gain. I know this from experience, research and talking to my doctor. Just try to relax if you have not really been normal then im sure you will be fine, but you need to get your mind off of possibly being pregnant and go on with your normal everyday life, eat healthily and do consider extra birth control because condoms are not very fool proof. they can leak or rip or just fall of and you not realize it until its to late. Take care, good luck and congrats on the wedding.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Sometimes my cycle will go out 35 days. The stress could delay it too. It will all work out. I understand the paranoia, but the stress is worse. Just try to relax, breathe, and maybe look at other forms of BC before the big day. If you end up being pregnant sometimes they will let you move the dates up into someone else's cancelled spot. Then your dress will still fit. My friends had to do that when she had a suprise.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 2:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• That's how I got here ...sorry :(
    Take a blood test so you'll know 100%
    Mrsvixen69

Answer by Mrsvixen69 at 3:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2010