What do I do when my daughter won't play by herself, she always wants me to "Come with her"?

Everytime she has to go downstairs to the bathroom, or play in her sandbox, or prettymuch anything at all, she says she wants me to come with her... she never wants to do anything on her own!!!

LilOliviasMama

Asked by LilOliviasMama at 2:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Suck it up for now. One day she won't want anything to do with you.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• single child? it's normal. She'll outgrow it soon enough, and will be locking you out of her room, hiding her diary, and figuring out how to move out as quick as possible... it doesn't last long, enjoy it while you can.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:40 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• be grateful

she could have severe autism and not want you to play with her at all
    my daughter in autism spectrum but does want me to play, when i am beat, i remember that she could be more autistic and then i would be praying for her to want interraction with me or anyone

somethng to remember at these times when you are tired of playing lego for hours on end
    and remember and be thankful for when at Thanksgiving table praying
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• While I know how as moms we often times have a lot on our plates and I too find myself thinking that I have hundreds of other things I could be doing (dishes, laundry, etc) but I also try to remember that they're only young once and pretty soon they're going to stop asking. They're going to want to do things w/their friends and not their parents.

cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Just keep working with her and give her rewards when she does do things on her own I am also struggling with trying to get my only child to do things on his own like play in his room longer than 3 minutes without coming to see what I am doing.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• My 2 kids are just like this. So it isn't a single child thing. My daughter is 3 and son is 2. They just like me to be in there playing too. If I am in the other parts of the house...that is where they prefer to be at as well. They both will play together in their room but only when I shut the gate. I usually do this once a day for a short time so they get alittle time away from me to play while I get some house stuff done. They hated it at first but now when I say it is time to go play in your room...they both go there and they don't cry or anything when I shut the gate. My son is the worst one...he follows me around wanting to be held. Just try to get her to do it in short spirts until she is used to it. It does help to have more than one so they have each other and don't feel so alone.
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 3:20 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• So normal... I would just compliment her when she is playing by herself. I always tell my son " Mason, I'm so proud how you are playing so nicely by yourself"..
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• i would enjoy it while you can... and explain that you will play for 5 minutes then "mommie has things to do"... set a timer and start leaving her alone for a bit while she plays...
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I agree with the others. They truly grow up so dang fast and you will look back and long for the days when they wanted you to be with them more. So, enjoy it and savor it. When they no longer want to be with you, the dishes will still be there and all the other housework will be too.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 2:28 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• enjoy it while it last,lol
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 12:27 PM on Nov. 25, 2010