SAHM's, don't you love when people say...

"Oh, so you don't work"?

I'm thinking, "do I work? HAHAHA! You should meet my boss. You think yours is tough and demanding!".! Mine would trump yours any day, lol
!

Anyone that has to question whether or not a SAHM works, has never been one.

I know most people say it for lack of better words, and mean absolutely no offense, but it makes me laugh anyways. All moms work, whether it be in our outside of the home, and our jobs are never-ending. :)

Now, I must admit, right now I'm not working. This is the couple hours a day (nap time) when I I'm off work, lol! And to make it fun, I'm cleaning in between answering questions on here. Woohoo!

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 2:49 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• When someone tells me that I just smile and say that I enjoy being a woman of leisure :) It cracks my DH and my friends up!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:51 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• i would love to have a job outside the house, would pay for daycare and i could get a break
    working outside the house sounds like a vacation right now - time to spend on adult things! still work, but the time would be more mine-defintely more adult at least
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:53 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• When someone tells me that I just smile and say that I enjoy being a woman of leisure :) It cracks my DH and my friends up! "

Haha! I might have to steal this response. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 2:55 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Nah... my fave is 'you're lucky to be able to stay at home...'

Oh, yes. It's pure luck. Yup.

Not the willingness to give up expensive lifestyle choices... or the inability to make enough to pay for daycare... or anything like a value-based active decision to do what one believes is right for their family and children in spite of how much it costs.

Nope. Just luck.

Lucky me.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

Oh, yes. It's pure luck. Yup.

"

Excellent point. I never really thought it like that.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• As a stay at home mom we work 24/7/365. When someone makes the remark that "Oh you don't work". I respond with....Yes I enjoy eating bon bons all day while I crack the whip at the hired help. And by the way your lobotomy was unsuccessful. 

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 3:03 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I am lucky - no, scratch that - I am blessed and privileged to be a SAHM. I don't consider it work to take care of/teach/play with my Son; however, keeping a tidy house is a bit o' work. ;D But yeah, it is rather ridiculous to assume SAHMs don't do any work..running a household is considered work, and, for me, my "payment" is the appreciation my Husband and Son show and tell me. That's more than enough!
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 3:07 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Yeah I get that one a lot too. It doesn't bother me as much as the "when are you gonna get a REAL job?" Or when ppl say I'm lazy. Anyone that says those things has obviously never been a SAHM. Yeah we might not get paid for it, but it IS work in every sense of the word. I usually try and explain to ppl that I would rather stay home with my son, than work 40 hours a week, to have $100 left over after taxes and paying the babysitter is all said and done.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:09 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I know the look and I know the remarks, they in-vision a woman sitting down fanning herself and eating bomboms!!!!

What an erroneous way of looking at SHAM'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 3:11 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I am lucky - no, scratch that - I am blessed and privileged to be a SAHM. I don't consider it work to take care of/teach/play with my Son; however, keeping a tidy house is a bit o' work. ;D But yeah, it is rather ridiculous to assume SAHMs don't do any work..running a household is considered work, and, for me, my "payment" is the appreciation my Husband and Son show and tell me. That's more than enough! "

I also enjoy it as well. While it can be tiring and busy, it's also very rewarding. I always tell people that I'm happily unemployed, lol. I am choosing to do this, and wouldn't change it for the world. But...that doesn't mean that it's always easy. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Nov. 24, 2010