part 2 adult content

I have boys so I don't have to worry about this but would you talk to yours girls before it started or when it starts?

Sky_Mom

Asked by Sky_Mom at 3:00 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Before def! That was it doesnt freak them out... gets them a little prepared for whats going to happen. I think it kinda goes hand in hand with the sex/puberty talk
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 3:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• definately before
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Oh, yeah... do the Carrie to your own child. That's a nice thought...

Since girls can get their periods anywhere from 6 to 18, I don't think it's possible to wait rationally until it's 'probably' going to start soon. Girls (and boys) should know how their bodies work a long time before they get hormones complicating their lives.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• before. I'll talk to my daughter about 9-11
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:05 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Before, so they would at least know why they were bleeding.
    DeeDee323

Answer by DeeDee323 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• My mom started talking to me when I was like 5. She didn't want me to start it and be scared. She wanted me to know it is nothing to be embarrassed about but most people don't talk about it. She told who I would need to talk to if it happened at school and to call her if I needed to. When I did start, I was playing basketball with the boys and it started running down my leg. Luckily I was wearing red shorts so it wasn't that noticeable. I went to the school nurse and she got me all cleaned up and called my mom. I got to go home from school early that day so people wouldn't think I peed in my pants...lol

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 3:12 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Before - thankfully. I was trying to figure out how to start the conversation when she found a tampon in a bag of mine that she was going to borrow. Then they had "the talk" again at school about a year after that, in the 5th grade.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:12 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I wished my mom would have talked to me before... I called my Grandma FREAKING out, I had no idea why or what was going on.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 3:13 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• We had sex ed classes before I started mine and they described everything to us. Which was nice because I honestly don't think my mom thought to explain it to me. I just called her one day and said, "Momma, I started my period." She said, "Okay. Are you okay? Do you have nay questions or need anything? My pads are under the sink."

Lol, worked for me!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:28 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• My mom must have talked to me before, but I don't remember. I always got so grossed out when she tried to give them sex talk, I didn't let her give me much detail! LOL! I had a GF who started before I did, so I knew it was coming, but for some reason I thought once it started, I was going to bleed every day FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE! I was SOOOOOOO depressed! Thank God my mom figured out my mistake and explained. I was so relieved!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 3:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2010