Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

i bent over to get my daughters clothes out of her drawer and i felt a pop and my back buckled.i cant walk off the pain nor can i sit or lie down hurt down back of my legs and i cant walk stairs or get up with ease.ive taken some ibeprofen and heating pat nothing working and starting get side hip abdominal pain.what may be the cause??

Answer Question

Asked by jordan2726 at 3:05 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Health

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • ICE not heat. Then try some gentle stretches when it starts to feel better

    Answer by admckenzie at 3:06 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • How long ago did u do it?? Try some muscle relaxing cream,I use Ben Gay it works great!!!!

    Answer by dancer at 3:09 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • U always use heat! U use ice for a sprained wrist or ankle. admckenzie is wrong on this one. I am talking from first hand experience as well as what doctors say.

    Answer by dancer at 3:11 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • My dr said ice not heat. Also, if it still bothers you in a day or 2 I would see a chiropractor. He did wonders for me when I threw my back out.

    Answer by tony1638 at 3:27 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • Lay flat on ur back and do leg exercises. Such as knee to chest. Hold one leg at a time for 30 seconds. Do ten of these on each leg for a week than add 5 more a day. Switch between hot and cold compresses every couple of hours or so. I have back pain all the time and this helped me.

    Answer by maskellwoman29 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • Dancer as a sports medicine professional I can tell you that you always use ICE in the first few days of an injury... any injury!! Always us ice until the inflammatory phase is over... in 4-5 days. This is the standard treatment for any orthopedic condition!!

    OP sounds as if you have a bulging disc - advil and ice... then see your doc!! You need to know which way the disc is bulging before you can know which kind of stretches you should be doing... ie Flexion vs Extension. Please don't waste your money on topical treatments like bengay... they only affect the surface and will not help you here!! I'd ask for a Physical Therapy referral as well... they can help with the pain, big time!!!


    Answer by Crafty26 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • ouch did you pinch a nerve in ur back? that' s the only reason I can think as to why it would hurt down ur legs cuz nerves ar connected. My friend had her whole disc flip the other way around and had to have an operation..I would go to the hospital if it's that bad let them xray it or do a could be serious

    Answer by chica679 at 6:07 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • ice ice ice...

    Answer by asil at 7:04 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • well you could have very easily tor your ligments and muscles but what it sounds like to me and i have had experiance with this due to my mother and myself, you may have hurniatted your disk or slipped it completely. your best bet would be the doctor asap. but for right now the best thing for you to do is lay flat and try not to move unless you have to.

    Answer by AvonMom2010 at 11:39 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • Crafty 26-The doctors I have talked to say it is most likely the sciatic nerve. I know the doctors know more then u.

    Answer by dancer at 11:02 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.