What happened to "opt out" day?

The lines moved smoothly at airports around the country Wednesday afternoon despite an Internet campaign to get Thanksgiving travelers to gum up the works on one of the busiest days of the year by refusing full-body scans.

The Transportation Security Administration said very few passengers opted out. And there were only scattered protesters — including, presumably, a man seen walking around the Salt Lake City airport in a skimpy, Speedo-style bathing suit, and a woman wearing a bikini in Los Angeles.

After days of tough talk on the Internet and warnings of possible delays, some passengers decided to go to the airport especially early and were pleasantly surprised.
wonk wonk

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:21 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• They were anxious to get to their destinations without long delays. The ones with the big mouths and guts probably don't fly! lol
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 7:11 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• People are probably afraid of what would happen if they all protested.

Agreed! People would rather submit than put up with the trouble of protesting .... very sad.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 3:27 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• TSA was threatening with imprisonment and fines for those who protested. Both of which are empty threats because there are no compulsory laws requiring me to give up my rights when I purchase a product or service. The problem is that people don't know their rights and they don't know what the law says.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 3:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Too many dumbed down Americans without the guts
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• hahah kerp I have a keychain that says 'I have PMS and a gun..got anything to say?'

but seriously there are ways to protest this without going all crazy..just takes a bit of thought thats all
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:43 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I honestly think its just laziness. People just wanna go with the flow rather then cause more delays for themselves

Could very well be.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 3:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Probably some of it but seriously alot of folks will talk the talk but never walk the walk
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:50 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I guess more people opted to simply BOYCOTT, cancel their trips or found alternate modes of transportation to get where they needed to go this holiday season! I'll bet next month we'll be reading about airlines complaining about not being able to meet their financial goals and looking for a government bailout--since they were the ones who CAUSED the problem in the first place!

That, and with so many people out of work or worried about losing their jobs, perhaps more people are simply choosing to save their money, and not flying to visit family and friends this year as they have in the past--or finding less expensive alternatives?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:40 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22346693/39575678

Doesn't seem like many complain......

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

•  TSA was threatening with imprisonment and fines for those who protested. Both of which are empty threats because there are no compulsory laws requiring me to give up my rights when I purchase a product or service. The problem is that people don't know their rights and they don't know what the law says.

I honestly think its just laziness. People just wanna go with the flow rather then cause more delays for themselves

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Nov. 24, 2010