Preggo - have you ever checked your own cervix? adult content

38 weeks preggo and I have heard of some women actually checking their cervix themselves or their partner doing it to see if they have dilated. Has anyone else tried this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• wow... how do they measure a cervix anyway?
    Mamma2E

Answer by Mamma2E at 3:31 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I leave that up to the professionals
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• it is not a good idea for the untrained to check this. You could possibly strip your membranes and start labor prematurely.

also, unless you know how to measure, you won't know anyway.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• – collapse
    Yes, it is safer to do it yourself, or for your partner to do it for you since the risk of introducing foreign bacteria from either of you, or your home environment is extremely small. Most bacterial infections during pregnancy are a result of internal exams.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• It would be almost impossible to SEE your cervix when PREGNANT without a Doctor's Speculum---the instrument your Doctor uses to see your cervix. And it would not be recomended anyway. It is too far up inside your vagina to see it--also, you could be introducing germs in that area. Not a good thing. WHat in the heck makes you think you even NEED to see your cervix?
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 3:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• WTF!!!!!!!!!
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 3:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I didn't say I needed to SEE my cervix. I was asking it anyone has ever checked it...meaning with fingers like the Doc's do in an exam to check if you have dilated. You can check how far you have dilated with 1, 2, 3+ fingers to see how far it is opened. Apparently in my research it is actually safe as long as you are careful about it. I was just wondering if anyone on here has ever done this before.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• ive heard of it here on CM but not sure if it's true. when your ob does it in the office, you're laying down with legs in stirups and she inserts two fingers, and i think from her standpoint and your position makes it easy for her to reach your cervix. i dont think no matter which way you lay you're going to be able to get your own two fingers all the way up to the cervix. sure, you could have dh check but will he know anything about cervix measurements? i'd just wait til your next ob visit.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Tried, but it's hard to reach with a big belly in the way...end up just getting frustrated! lol
    KristeV

Answer by KristeV at 3:41 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• internals are pointless no matter who does it. The baby will come when its ready. I have been walking 2 cm dilated for 2 weeks and I have refused to have anymore internal exams unless nessecary. However , my best friends checks hers for ttc reasons.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 3:49 PM on Nov. 24, 2010