How do you explain to five kids that you have to move?

My rent is going up and my house is not worth it. My kids dont understand why we have to move. They want to be spoiled and whenever we go shopping its always "mom can i get this". We cant afford to stay in this house with two car payments and a 400 dollar electric bill.

maskellwoman29

Asked by maskellwoman29 at 3:31 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm guessing your question really is "What do you say to 5 kids to make them ok with moving?" and there may not be an answer. You just tell them straight up you're doing what's best for your family. The fact is, they don't have to be ok with it, just like they don't have to be ok with you not buying them everything they see (sorry, too many negatives!). This is life, and they might as well start learning self denial now. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 3:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• You just have to be honest. Explain to them that alot of families are struggling right now but it WILL get better. Kids worry. Assure them that everything will work out and be ok.
    goldengrl65

Answer by goldengrl65 at 3:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Okay...I'm not understanding here...who exactly is the adult in charge? If you do explain something it's just to be considerate but as far as I remember, my parents didn't explain shit...I was told what was going to happen if I was lucky or I found out what was happening when it happened...period. The adults made the decisions and I followed instructions. And the next time they ask "mom...can I get this"...ignore them. They will get the message EVENTUALLY!!!
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 3:49 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Then it is time to move and make packing a game, first one to accomplish the task in their area earns an ice cream sundae ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:52 PM on Nov. 24, 2010