I have MRSA!!

I went to get my bellybutton checked by my Dr. I had a surgical entry point split open and got infected. I didn't notice it for about a week because I have no feeling there anymore having had 2 surgeries use it as an entry point there is almost all scar tissue there it is numb. When I discovered it, I had my DH look at it since I can't see it very well (I am overweight) and he said it was split wide open. I went to the Dr. yesterday and she said it was really bad and couldn't believe I couldn't feel it while she was draining it and irrigating it.

She is having the scab tested for confirmation, but she is pretty sure it is MRSA. She is treating me aggressively as though it IS MRSA with antibiotics. She told me that if I had waited another few days I would likely be in the hospital! She then freaked me out when she said "another week to 10 days - you might not even be here".

Ok, I know that MRSA is bad, but is it really that life threatening?! I am just a little bit freaked out by how close I came to losing my life!

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 3:54 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Health

• Ok, I know that MRSA is bad, but is it really that life threatening?!

Yes, it is life threatening. Just follow your doctors instructions.
    Follow her orders religiously.

PRAYING FOR YOU!!!! Happy TG!
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• My girl was in the childrens hosital her in indiana last year and had surgury to remove and drain something from her arm pit. She was eight at the time. But with antibatics she was home in 6 days. Several doctors missed it since said arm hurt but the whole time under her arm. If caught early then the antibotic will help and all should be well after that. My daughter has had no more problems. I wish you luck and keep in touch but you should be fine.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:58 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• MRSA is scary and shouldn't be taken lightly. They thought I had MRSA because I have a cyst behind my shoulder that was getting infected time and time again, and I read up on it (lots) and the bacteria can travel through your bloodstream causing major damage, or even worse, death. I'm glad they caught your infection in time, that must have been scary! Get well soon and hope all heals great for you.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• It can be life threatening if not caught and treated in some people. Luckily your being taken care of now though. Hope you get well soon!
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 4:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Yea it could thank God you caught it just take the meds and try to keep area clean . Wash hands and clothing in hot water . I hope that this clears up for you and pray your strength in this.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 5:08 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• i've had MRSA and yes, it's a big deal, and even if treated you can still be a carrier of it, which means it will come back, maybe... mine has. follow their instructions, keep things clean, and have every bump checked.
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:03 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• both my 1 week old daugther and i had it, better safe than dead in my opinion.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 12:45 AM on Nov. 30, 2010