left kidney smaller than right in 5 year old

My daughter has a bladder infection and on third antibatic and did xrays and ultrasound and said showed constituption but right kidney looked fine but the left is small for her age. Any one know what this could mean? something to worry about? She is to see a specialist in jan. Advice would be great. Thanks

momindiana

Asked by momindiana at 4:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Health

• At that age their little bodies are still developing and trying to catch up to their size. It is very common if I remember correctly. Make sure she is going potty every 2 hours and that she is keeping clean down there. If she gets a little tinkle in her undies tell she needs to change which is common sense to us but children sometimes do not care. When she goes #2 make sure she wipes front to back because #2 can cause infection in that area. Do not allow her to drink things with caffine, and reduce chocolate, and citrus drinks. NO bubble baths as this can cause irritation and infections. Have her drinking lots of water. Get her some more fiber in her diet. Constipation can cause problems like bladder infections so you want to keep her regular. More fruits and veggies...beans Daily. I hope she feels better. Anytime there is an unexplained fever..get her checked asap. You do not want kidney infections.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 4:11 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Thanks for the advice momforhealth. It makes me feel better to know maybe just something common and she might out grow and her kidney will turn out fine.
    momindiana

Comment by momindiana (original poster) at 4:13 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• My sister is 39 and found out her right kidney never grew past the size of a small childs only a couple years ago. Shes always had gotten somewhat frequent kidney infections, but not that bad. They did a test a couple years ago and found out her kidney was basically the size of a toddlers, it could never keep her alive if something were to happen to her good one. But aside from knowing that, she's never had any treatment. She went her whole life not even knowing, just being a little more suseptable to infections. It would only become an issue if she were to have an accident or something and damage the functioning kidney. But I assured her I would give her one of mine if need be :)
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 4:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• i would hope that if it IS something to worry about your DR would have told you... if not i would change DRS
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2010