For moms who choose not to vaccinate their children, do you have problems getting them into school?

I read about parents who choose not to vaccinate their children because they believe they are unnecessary, unsafe, or that the benefits do not outweigh the risks. What I am wondering is, do these parents come across problems with people or organizations that do not support their rights to make this decision?

knightmoves

Asked by knightmoves at 1:16 AM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Health

• no because its against the law to not allow an un vaccinated child into a public school. Every state has an exemption form the parent will fill out and turn into the school. It is against the law for the school to not allow the child.
    However if an outbreak of something occurs your child has to be taken out of school until it is over.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 1:21 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• For the most part, daycares/schools have it posted that your kid has to be vaccinated unless you have like some reason not to. I'd assume (since both mine are vaccinated on time) that the establishment would be understanding that you chose not to.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:22 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• No. You do not have to have your kids vaccinated to attend public school. My kids are not vaccinated. They did attend public school for a while until we decided to homeschool them. You must sign a waiver regarding your decision to not vaccinate and you must realize your children will be excluded from school should there be an outbreak. That is a protective measure both for the school and your child. (Really a legal move, but whatever.) Our school and teachers were very understanding of our position.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:22 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Oh, but they will insist your kids HAVE to be vaccinated. You must know that you have rights to not vaccinate and be ready to fight for that right if you choose this right.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:23 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• No, they will try to tell you that your child HAS to be vaccinated, but as long as they are receiving *any* government funding at all, they cannot prevent your child from attending because they haven't been vaccinated. You will likely have to sign a waiver, but that's about it.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 5:11 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Here in PA you have to write a simple letter to the school stating it is your choice not to vaccinate and that that choice has the strainght of a religious conviction behind it. It doesn't have to be a religious belief it just has to have the streingth of one and YES you have to word it that way. But otherwise it's no big. I have a copy of the law ready when I go anywhere that might have an objection for proof. But as was said, if they are getting public funding they have to allow it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:01 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Jespeach, that is what I meant. Thanks.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2008