How is an Atheist thankful?

All of the "Thanksgiving" questions got me wondering how an Atheist is thankful. An Atheist is someone with no religious beliefs (Feel free to correct me if I am wrong), if they do not believe in a "higher being" who do you thank??

Please do not take offense to this question, I am really curious.
Thank you for your answers!!!

Conley639

Asked by Conley639 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Religious Debate

• What a bizarre question. The good things in my life aren't some magical mystery. The good things in my life are good because of the people in my life and because of the choices we all have made. For example, no one's god gave me a nice house and car and warm food. We have those things because my husband works hard and we're good with money. Why would I thank anyone but him for these things he's provided?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:39 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Thanksgiving is not a religious holiday. Why do we have to be religious to be thankful for anything?

Answer by louise2 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Ummm,family and friends?? Do YOU only thank God for what you have?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• How does a belief in God monopolize the ability to be thankful? You don't have to give thanks to god in order to be thankful for things. What a strange question.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 4:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I am agnostic. I am thankful to have 3 beautiful boys, a man who loves me unconditionally, the parents who raised me. You dont' have to thank anyone, just be thankful to have what you have and appreciate others.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 4:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Yes, your right that only christian Pilgrim descendants have the right to celebrate how the Indians mistakenly trusted them instead of smiting them and thus preventing the raping and pillaging of their homeland.  I just celebrate good food, good friends, and my family.  =P 

karamille

Answer by karamille at 4:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• You know my friend is athiest she is thankful to the people in her life and she thanks them you dont's have to believe in god to be thanksful
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• How could you single out a group and say they are not thankful. I am a Christian and I thank God for everything, but you can be thankful for something and not believe in God. I believe that they are just as thankful for things as we are. Thats a very broad, trouble provoking statement.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 4:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Well seeing that Thanksgiving has nothing to do with religion, atheists can still be thankful for lots of things.... like family.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Thanksgiving has nothing to do with religious beliefs duh
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 4:40 PM on Nov. 24, 2010