Do you believe Thanksgiving is racist?

last year Native Americans were protesting Thanksgiving because they say it is a racist holiday.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Do you know that there are Indian Reservations all over the USA so that the American Indians can keep their heritage? Did you know the poorest one is Pine Ridge S.D.? Yes I just read a huge article on this group and there is alcoholism and suicide on the reservation ! They are dirt poor and right now Pres Obama wants to find a way to help them!
    Here in California we have one in Round Valley.. A woman who has made connection with them just took up food, clothing, books, cds and turkey meals today to bless them for Thanksgiving.... and more. Over 20 + families will be served! Guess who donated to this cause. My church and my Kingdom Training school! I am so thrilled they will have a better Thanksgiving there. They are not even against having this at all and welcome it! So no not all American Indians are against this Holiday.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:29 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I think its a great holiday for everyone to realize what we have, whether great or small. Not racist at all!
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 4:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• how the hell is MLK day racist?

I have no issues with Thanksgiving, but I refuse to celebrate Columbus, he was no hero.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:00 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Seems so.
    ganna04

Answer by ganna04 at 4:39 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• No its being thankful!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:43 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• People say its a day to be thankful. BUT to the Native American people its a constant reminder of what was taken from them, their homes, their way of life, their land and oh yeah there was that whole pointless slaughter of thousands of Native Americans. So the HISTORY of Thanksgiving, Yes it is. Read the REAL story of the first thanksgiving. Not the sugar coated story they teach to little kids in school (you know where they rewrite history instead of telling the actual truth)
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 4:47 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I have a friend who is Lakota Indian and he celebrates Thanksgiving - no protest from him ever. (If you cook it, he will come. LOL)
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 5:29 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Not at all. In fact, living in Oklahoma I can tell you that there are "benefits" to being Native American that are much more racist as far as I'm concerned. For example - car tags for pennies on the dollar and none of it goes to the state (who does still pay for the roads we ALL use), preferred treatment for all tribe jobs (which make up a vast majority of the jobs here), legalized gambling for tribal casinos and no taxes to be paid on that money, it's tribal.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Only to those who are race conscience and look for racism everywhere.

Anonymous

• anon, above . . . you are you saying that Native Americans are "race concious" and "looking for racism" . . . because I posted in the question that THOSE are the people who were protesting Thanksgiving last year.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:05 PM on Nov. 24, 2010