Do you believe you were taught the true meaning of Thanksgiving in school?

why or why not?

What are your thoughts on this holiday?

Do you believe schools today take the spiritual significance out of it and make it into a multicultural pot luck?

Or

Do you think schools underestimate the damage that early settlers did to native populations?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Um when the Pilgrims first came they came to make a living not massacre the American Indians. Wow that is a new story for me!
    The American Indians actually taught them how to plant and to survive ! The first winter there more than HALF of the people that came here DIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That is the story I was taught in school! I believe it to be true. Schools are not allowed to teach the spiritual part except that the Pilgrims were thankful to God for the food!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:23 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I know for a fact the real story of Thanksgiving is not taught in schools. I've done tons of reasearch on the topic and have found documentation of where history has been rewritten.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 4:51 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Nope, I know it wasn't. Hence, why my grandfather did not celebrate it. and there is no spiritual significance to it... just the celebration of a massacre
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 4:55 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Canabalize?? I never said they ate the Natives...
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 5:05 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Spiritual?? Where are you getting that?
    Of course kids aren't taught the truth about what we did to Native Americans

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Public schools usually aren't allowed to touch on the spirituality of anything. Thanksgiving today does seem to be more of a multicultural potluck, and I don't see any harm in that. Most people in the US have roots originating in another country, and the US is a cultural melting pot. In my city alone we have people of European, Mexican, South American, Middle Eastern and Asian decent - from everywhere. Our family knows MANY first generation Americans, which kind of gives Thanksgiving an enhanced meaning where the past is made present.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 5:28 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• What did PILGRIMS do to the Native Americans? Not all new settlers, but the actual separatists?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• So Kaleansmom, William Bradford and his friends masacred the Native Americans?

They came here to worship God freely, they almost died, but they had enough strength left to canabalize the natives? wow.

new twist.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• ANON (the original poster) is a moron...troll what ever but get your "info" straight before coming in here starting drama and BS!
    Anonymous

• I think both of your assertions of the first Thanksgiving are wrong and neither are taught in schools.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 6:13 PM on Nov. 24, 2010