grrr.. my parents and his mom are behaving like children

for various reason hubby and my parents do not get along. i honestly cant blame my mom for her disgust toward his mom.. she has put me personally through hell the past two years. but she does it in such ways that hubby doesn't notice and she's quite the manipulator. anyway, my daughter is about to turn 2 and im having a small party here at my house. ive invited only family and close friends. i invited her, only to not offend my husband. my daughter wouldn't care less about her absense, all she's seen is her back since day one anyway. well she is coming apparently. and of course my parents are, they have been "real" grandparents and wouldn't miss it. im just afraid of what's going to happen when our moms are in the same room together. my mom's quite protective of us and being a stubborn German woman she never holds her tongue. i hope she will atleast on that day. after all it is about my daughter, not about family problems. im wondering if i should do something separate for both parents...

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:49 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• I would tell everyone up front that the other grandparents will be here and EVERYONE is expected to suck it up and be on their best behavior or they will be asked to leave the party! I'd remind them that the day is about DD and you will NOT have them ruining the party with their petty bickering - if they don't like it, then don't bother showing up!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:15 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Naw....don't go through the trouble of two dinners....just put your MIL at the "kiddie table". Seriously....I'm sure everyone knows who's been the real grandparents, and they'll be big enough to suck it up for a day. They'll do it for you. And you DD....don't stress too much and try to enjoy the day.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 4:53 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• My family and Dh's family don't get along. I learned after 8 years and 3 kids, it's a lot easier to just keep them apart. Make the party short. And get everyone out of the house quick lol
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 4:54 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• When my MIL still spoke to us, I had this problem. My mil was so rude and would make horrible comments about us and laugh. (She thinks she is funny). My mother would have to bite her tongue, or well, out of respect for my dh she bit her tongue. Other than just confronting your mil when she behaves badly there is no other choice. Excluding her would not be the right thing to do. Unless your mil, like mine, will become bored of you and move on to another victim.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 5:06 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• lol @fallnangel3 i plan to its only a 2 hour party and just serving cake instead of both that and pizza.. maybe people will leave sooner if they're hungry.. lol. im hoping the cluster of people will help keep the drama out.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Nov. 24, 2010