dh thinks my daughter's child support money is our money

but in reality it is my daughter's money. yes, he has been supporting her emotionally since she was a baby and for the most part financially other than the little she gets monthly in child support. i stay at home with the kids so therefore his income is our income, and he thinks the same should apply with this. i used to be able to save all of her money but with the economy being so rough ive had to use most of that savings money to pay bills and whatever i get now goes toward bills. it just breaks my heart that i cant save any money for her right now. anyway he wanted to get his haircut today and buy a can of dip with the c/s card and i told him no. we're broke too til friday when we get paid but there was enough in there for him to get his haircut he just didnt want to spend it. he wasnt too happy about it. how can i make him understand that this is her money? i wont spend it foolishly.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• I agree it should not be for his personal use but I feel it is perfectly okay for it to be used for household things. Groceries, pay a utility, Go out to dinner, put gas int he car... those ting benefit the child to. But no. It's not there to support his habit or get him his haircut a couple of days earlier.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• That money is supposed to help support her. If you guys are being wise with his check but still struggling then the child support money should be used for bills.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:57 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• That's pretty tricky since he's been around forever AND supports her finacially. I would just do what you can to explain you'd like to save that money for her to go to college (or whatever you want her to have it for). I have a feeling he's going to have a hard time seeing your side of it- good luck!!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 4:58 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• My oldest sons child support is used for his support, things are hard right now so I pay bills and groceries etc with it. He NEVER goes without anything so I don't have a problem with it.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 5:00 PM on Nov. 24, 2010