Migraines

I get these horrible migraines at least once a week. I cannot stand light or sound and they make me dizzy and I always puke. I have to take a Goody's power and go to sleep for it to go away...if it does, sometimes I wake right back up with it. This has been happening for years now, like since I was prolly 16 and I am 23 now. My doc said it was because I needed glasses but I got glasses and that did not help much (i dont have the glasses anymore cuz they broke) and i have got migraine meds but they did not help and i always ended puking the meds back up. I do not have insurance and my doc that i go to ( only when i am desperate) wants to do a cat scan but that is WAYYYY too expensive. Does anyone else have migraines like this? Or know what may be causing them?

punkypreggo

Asked by punkypreggo at 4:54 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Health

• without doing a CT or MRI, there is no good way of knowing. I feel you pain though, I know how bad it is. When you figure it out, let me know, I'm still trying to get mine under control.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:00 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I know someone that has them but she also suffer from seizures. In your case it might be a mixture of stress, hormones , and lack of restful sleep. You could be senstive to some of the foods you eat too red wine , lucheon meat, chesse , smoking, caffenine, or and not even eating at all. Take a moment to list all the things you eat and do and see if this helps you narrow what is causing this.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 5:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• My mom has had chronic migraines forever. They are triggered by FOOD! Anything with MSG in it is the worst - but also some cheeses, like parmesan, provolone, and anything imported. Also combination chocolate/peanut butter or chocolate/mint would trigger them. Herbal stores sell a supplement called Migrelief and it worked WONDERS for my mom. It's something you take every day like a vitamin and now she can eat almost anything except stuff with MSG. A lot of stuff has MSG in it, like soups, any kind of box dinners - ricearoni, hamburger helper, etc. You need to check the labels of things you're eating for Mono Sodium Glutamate.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 5:10 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• My mom had migraines and finally a stroke, no migraines since (she recovered completely). A co-worker had them and hers were food allergy related also, she has to avoid chocolate and garlic (and other stuff I dont' remember). In CT there is medicaid insurance for young people, I wonder if your state has that? It sounds like you need some medical advice. Good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:14 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I started getting them when I entered pre-menopause so I know mine is estrogen related. I have an uber powerful med that is ungodly expensive but I only have to take half a pill at onset and it knocks it right out.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:19 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• CHECK YOUR FOOD LABELS!!
    ARE YOU EATING ANY FOOD WITH ARTIFCIAL lake dyes in it
    red 40
    blue 1
    yellow 5

daughter can nothave these, when i stopped eating= my migrains went away!!
    just for a test, after five months, a few days before my period i ate everything i could get my hands on with red 40, that month i got my usual 3 day migraine one day before period= that was enough proof for me

look on internet for info on LAKE dyes, red 40 the worst for me, have told other migraine suffers and soem also had releif from taking out of diet

hope this helps you or someone else, it made a world of difference to me
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:22 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• i think that you need to suck it up and see a DR... if they suggested glasses and you're not wearing them and gave you meds and you're not taking them... seems like we aren't going to be able to help you here.
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:00 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• you need to get the test done, insurance or no insurance....talk to the facility they may be able to let you make payments.
    I had bad dizzy spells with migraines years ago, turned out mine was caused by a prolapsed uterus and my hormones, got rid of the uterus....I feel great! Get your glasses fixed,look at your diet,get the test done....nuff said!
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 7:14 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I did have glasses but they are not wearable and I do take the meds as directed, they just dont help. I know I really need to see a Dr. but with no Insurance and it being so expensive, I always seem to put other things before that, which in turn, I suffer for that. Hopefully I can get some assistance somehow. I live in KY and have applied for Temp Medicaid but I do not qualify. You basically have to be a low life druggie to get that assistance around here. I will most def look at my diet more closely to see if this may be where they are coming from.
    punkypreggo

Comment by punkypreggo (original poster) at 8:05 PM on Nov. 24, 2010