Worried about my OB's history.....

I am using the same OB as I did with my now 2yr old, I am almost 6mths along and just heard that he CANT deliver at a local hospital because he lost his rights there. Thats all he said she said stuff, so I looked into it to see if Icould find concrete evidence. I couldnt. BUT I did find that in 2007 he settled in a malpractice case against him for $900,000.00 and that has me WORRIED. I cannot find out anymore details about the case. Would you switch OBs? Anyone know of websites I can find some background info from?

Auntiemom410

Asked by Auntiemom410 at 5:15 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you think you can, I would personally ask him. Just say you were planning on delivering at hospital X and you are disappointed that he doesn't deliver there. You tried to find out why and ran into the lawsuit information. You would like to know whatever he would be comfortable telling you. If he doesn't want to, I would change docs. Sorry to say that at 6 months.
    If he tells you and you feel like you can trust him because of his honesty, I'd stay.

Unfortunately, many OBs are sued for bad birth outcomes, many of which were not preventable or foreseen. My mom's gyne was sued for a bad birth outcome, I think the child had cerebral palsy and he stopped delivering all together. My "guess" is that whatever happened w/ your doc, only happened once and didn't make him stop practicing.
    Anonymous

• Good luck w/ that! I filed a legit complaint w/ our State Medical board when my son's Dr. missed hearing 2 liters of fluid in my son's chest! It took them a year & a half to tell me nothing would be done. I have a complaint on record w/ our insurance company, but if you were to look up that Dr. w/ the state med. brd., our complaint would not be there. It's shameful. If I were you, I'd trust your instincts, and ask your insurance provider for names of new OB's. A large settlement like that usually means there was severe injury or even death. The records were probably sealed. I know it's hard to switch this late in your pregnancy, but better safe than sorry. Good luck
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:26 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Most providers will take a new patient up to 32 weeks along, in my experience. I would follow your gut. If you're comfortable with this OB, then stay. If not, then look for someone new. You don't want to be in labor worrying about this either way. Doctors get sued over nonsense stuff sometimes, and sometimes even though the outcome wasn't the doctor's fault, they still settle the suit. If you feel comfortable enough, you can ask your OB what happened. Do whatever you feel most comfortable with. How has the care been so far? Would you feel comfortable with a new provider you haven't been working with until now? How far away is the hospital you would be delivering at? Is it nice? Think about those questions, and follow your gut.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:51 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't think twice about switching. Birth is too important, and the chances of you finding out what really happened are slim.
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:02 AM on Nov. 25, 2010