what is it like being a stay at home mom?

I want to be a stay at home mom since my company is doing huge cuts in Januasry and I will save tons of money by doing it! Daycare, care insurance, gas, eating out money, less on the grocery bill I also will save money on wear and tear on the vehicles, along with snack foods. It's cheaper to make food then buy boxed foods.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Amazing you'll love being with your kids it's stressful at times but amazing and so worth it
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 5:21 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Exhausting, but so much better than leaving your kid in someone else's care! Don't let ANYONE tell you being a SAHM is not a full time job. I am on call and on duty 24/7! I am not only mommy but chef, maid, nurse, accountant, and teacher. I get to see ALL of my daughters antics and progress, so everything cute, every smile, every giggle, and every accomplishment is there for me to see. :)
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 5:26 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• FluffyMamaBunny has it dead on! Its the hardest but most REWARDING thing you will do!
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 5:31 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• For me, It was boring and after 2 long years of doing it...I went back to work teaching. Much happier now. Good luck though!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I am a stay at home mom but my kids are in school. I love it. I can be here if they need me for some reason. I do house work when they are in school cause if left to their that works the house would never be clean. Ha Ha. I have had 2 bad bosses and I am thank ful I do not have to for now face other mom. You'll love it but might take some time to get used to it since used to working. But you'll be glad you did cause get to spend time with you kids.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 5:41 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I loved being home with my kids when they were young but you do tend to lose your independence when you have to rely on your husband for money!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 6:58 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Honestly, it depends on the woman! I wanted to do it... got the chance to and found I didn't like it at all.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I love being a SAHM. It's so rewarding. I love being here for my kids.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 9:03 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• If you have a car and can get out pretty often, I can imagine its great...but I felt trapped because it was just me, the kiddo, the tv, the computer and the same toys and books over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, etc. You spend more in groceries because you are always home to eat...and you get bored and you eat....you dont want to, you dont mean to, you tell yourself not to...but you do! The house is always a mess (and you are ALWAYS cleaning) because the baby is tearing it up as fast as you are cleaning it! You get frustrated because you clean all day and take care of the baby all day and just need a break...you know..time to go poo by yourself or God forbid, SHOWER! but when hubs gets home from a long day of sleep, he thinks you havent done anything and wants you to wait on him hand and foot, lol. Even if he is a great guy and takes over, he still thinks your job isnt as hard as his.
    chipper87

Answer by chipper87 at 9:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• So, you start getting ambitious, you start trying to save your family more money, your start organizing more, you re-arrange furniture more often...all to prove you work hard, and to keep your brain working....(because no adult interaction leaves you with mommy mush brain) but you overwork yourself and are worn out. lol. You are stuck in the same four walls, with NO such thing as a sick day...no one else is going to do the work, so you still have to!
    All of that was true for me....but:
    you also get to see every smile, every milestone, you get to show them a world that is magical, you get to play with them all the time, you get all the hugs and the kisses and every mommy job gets amplified. So its the hardest job you will ever love. I did it for 3 years and might be returning to it soon even though I love my new part time job...
    word of advice...get a hobby, something that is just for you! Something that is no kids allowed.
    chipper87

Answer by chipper87 at 9:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2010