eye gunk.. what does it mean?

my little over 2 month old has gunk (for lack of a better word) in his right eye.. it's seems to be watering a little and there is gunk that is getting in his eye lashes and in the corner of his eye.. what is it, what does it mean, what do i do about it? my husband seems to think he gave him a cold.. i have been using a warm wash cloth to try and get the gunk out.. sigh

Keri77

Asked by Keri77 at 1:21 AM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it could be nothing but being so little you should have him see his pediatrician to find out exactly what it is.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 1:22 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• its an eye infection my daughter got one at that age its not uncommon take him to the pediatrician asap and they will give you eyedrops and it will clear up in a couple days it has something to do with the tear duct
    akashaismyworld

Answer by akashaismyworld at 1:24 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• If it's a lot and his eyes are weepy and look reddish pink it could be pink eye. Take him to the doctor and they will prescribe eye drops for him. BTW you'll know it's pink eye if when your baby wakes up tomorrow and his eye is sealed shut by this stuff :(
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:24 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• oh yeah it also helps to massage the tear ducts (right in front of his eyebrows) just rub gently it helps i dont remeber exacly why but thats what you do
    akashaismyworld

Answer by akashaismyworld at 1:26 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• how the heck did he get pink eye????!!! (if that's what it is)?
    Keri77

Answer by Keri77 at 1:30 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• i am almost 100% sure its not pink eye my daughter had the exact same thing at that age
    akashaismyworld

Answer by akashaismyworld at 1:48 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• if you are breastfeeding you can drop a couple drops of boob juice in there 3 times a day and it will clear it up. Whatever "it" is.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 9:36 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Sounds like pink eye. pink eye can be caused by any number of things from bacterial infections (if he has an ear infection, it could have spread) viral infections -- some kids get colds, some get pink eye) allergies, etc. But to check with the doc Could be something other thank pink eye too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My twin boys had the exact same thing happen. They had blocked tear ducts. Call your ped. and they will prescribe eye drops that you will use for 4-5 days and it will also help if you use like a Q-tip to massage the inside corners of the eye a couple of times a day. This will help the duct to open. We haven't had any problems since. Good luck!
    kristyrea

Answer by kristyrea at 11:47 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My son has it too. Its a blocked tear duct, keep it clean with a warm wash rag, massage the inner part of the eye, by the nose. I heard its very common and it happens in the womb when the duct doesn't become clear of skin, i guess. My doctor said if it gets really bad, they can give him something for it but it most likely will heal on its own. My son will be 3 months saturday hasn't cleared up yet. My luck, we'll have to go to the dr.
    NickysMomma888

Answer by NickysMomma888 at 8:10 PM on Nov. 6, 2008