lots of tiny broken crayons, can i melt into big chucky ones...how?

i know i heard of this at some time
how do i take all the stubs and melt in one big one

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 5:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• do NOT NOT NOT buy the crayon maker ...it does not work & the crayons it makes are just as small as the ones you just spent 30 minutes tearing off the paper..
    We bought this for dd bday & it was a total rip off.. Me & DH spent 30min taking off all the paper. breaking them into smaller pieces.. the mold was about the size of my 4yo pinky finger !!!! :-/

If you try molding anything on ur own (oven) do like-colored crayons together... or 1/2 & 1/2 but from our experience with the crayon maker the colors dont get a "tie-die" effect to them, but mix together to create an ugly color together.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Hell I'll just toss them all out. Melting all those different colors will come out and make an ugly color plus a box of crayons is only $1
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:47 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• all you need is a mold. It's very easy to melt, you might want to use pot you don't care for. Just melt it, throw it in a mold & let it dry until hard.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:47 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• You can buy the caroly melt down crayon machine. Or I saw you can just use your muffin cups with liners and melt down. Or even the siclcone pans and make them into shapes. Try the web site from parents magazine or even the site from family fun that is where I found my ideas.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 5:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• thought i heard of way to just melt enough that it will not be new color of mix of colors
    like a rainbow crayon
    maybe i was dreaming
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Get one of those throwaway aluminum cake pans and an icecube tray you can sacrifice. Place a cake pan halfway full of water on the stove on low and put the other one in it. Throw the stubbies in and melt them. Spray the icecube tray with Pam and pour the melted wax in. When cooled you can pop them out

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:49 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• thanks
    i thought i was not dreaming
    so here is my plan, tell me i am going to burn down the house-lol or any other mistake

metal muffin tin, paper liners
    take all the red ones, out in paper liner, all the blues in another etc etc
    and put in oven

temperature?? time-guess i can watch
    but temperature would be nice to have idea
    any other mold around house i am not thinking of beside muffin tin?
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 5:53 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• You can melt them in an aluminum pie pan too, that will keep it from ruining your nice pots and pans. You can also make shapes out of foil to pour the melted wax into. An old cupcake pan works well too for shaping them in.

Make sure to put amalgamous colors together. Reds, pinks, oranges together. Greens, blues, yellows...
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:54 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Crayola has invented a crayon melter...saw one at Toys R US...but I think Walmart has them too...about 20 dollars...creates the swirly colors you are talking about.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:00 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• There are several different ways of doing it. Check out the Thrifty Fun Website and read how they say to do it here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf666289.tip.html It's too long for me to include but great ideas to be found there! Especially in this crappy economy.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 6:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2010