• In the Spotlight:

how to get my 23 month old to drink more water?

she used to be a milk addict, then she got sick and was diagnosed with reactive airway disease so i cut her milk back to 2 cups a day so she wouldn't build up more phlegm. i was also giving her more juice since i cut back the milk. probably 2-3 cups a day for a few days. now, she doesn't care so much about milk but she wants juice all the time. she'll chug a cup and start whining for more. she's always been such a loud, shrieking crier. loud enough to break glass i tell you! so i give in most of the time, i know its my fault. but when she doesn't get her way i can't stand to hear that shriek. i've been watering down her juice but she still asks for more more more. the other day she had four cups before lunch and had a horrible rash. i've tried giving her only water, and she throws the cup across the room. i've told her she's not getting anything but water and then she just refuses to drink til the next meal (i always give milk with the 3 meals). i know im setting her up for horrible habits... not only with drinking so much juice but giving in to her demands merely because of her screaming about it. she doesn't do this as much when hubby is home, he's much more stern about it then i am. he'll make her go to her room when she gets like that and then she cries out of sadness, and it makes me feel bad. UGH i need to grow a backbone i know! how can i get her to drink more without throwing these awful tantrums??

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just make sure she constantly has a sippy with water in it.. OH and add ice to it, it makes noise whenthey shake it, and it's like a toy for them that they can consume. they love it. =) GL
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 1:09 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• you could try mixing half water half juice for a couple days or a week what ever works best, then use 3/4 water 1/4 juice and just slowly decrease the amount of juice you use, maybe she will slowly get used to water
    heaven531

Answer by heaven531 at 5:50 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• You might try the flavored water, or get a fancy ice cube tray that will make shapes when frozen, maybe even koolaid and can watch how much sugar you add to it. Or make fun things like jello since you make that with water and she will never know it. I hope that helps. Give me a shout if anything works for you.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 5:51 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I buy my small grandkids the "baby" waters (small 4 oz containers). I drink only water so since little children imitate adults they drink the waters in just their size. They think they are fun and just for them.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:54 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• DS primarily drinks water. Juice and soy milk are extremely rare treats. Just have water in her sippy where she can get it. She Kay whine until she gets used to it, but it's good for her to learn to drink water all day now than to try to switch later.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Try giving milk between meals and offer water from your glass with meals. My son (currently 20 mo) was resisting water too (because he has an older brother and knows about juice!). I couldn't get him to drink it from a sippy, but he would drink it fine from my glass... then he eventually started asking for his own water. I did this with my niece who I babysit, too. We don't buy juice or have it in the house outside of special occasions and that helps, too.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 6:07 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• put only a tiny bit of juice in a sippy of water - just enough to give it flavor and make her think she is getting juice. even if she drinks 6 cups she will only get 6 oz of juice, if that. i did the same thing with my neice.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 8:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• @musicpisces i agree. my 4 year old actually asks for water when we sit down for a meal or with her snack. she never had a problem drinking it when she was little, but she also spent time in daycare at that age where the other kids were drinking it. my other two children have been home with me since day one, so they can get away with much more at home with mommy.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• We give our 4 year old about 2 oz of juice then the rest water in her glasses.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 10:08 AM on Nov. 25, 2010