JPII Quote - Science & Religion - Agree or Disagree? - Comments?

Science can purify religion from error and superstition. Religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes.
-Pope John Paul II

flatlanderjenn

Asked by flatlanderjenn at 6:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Agree. Sometimes it's good to step back and remember how much we don't understand about the world.   

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• What in science could be considered idolatry, I wonder? Are people in lab coats worshiping atoms or diseases? And I think science can disprove some religious things but it will never be able to disprove all of them, just as religion will never be able to prove everything it says.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 7:32 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• The key word he used was religion.... so yes
    but science cannot purify relationship with God... ect. :-) there IS a difference.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:32 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• To an extent I agree. Science and faith can work hand in hand in order to cultivate our worldviews. By letting them work together we will get the best out of what both have to offer. I don't believe they're meant to be exclusive. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I agree. I am amazed when I think of the structure of DNA, and I see it as God's master plan for every living being. Look at the chemistry within the body - how glucose is broken down to create energy in the form of ATP, how acid-base balance is maintained, how the body maintains homeostasis. We can study it and understand it, but we cannot create it from scratch. We can inject the luminescent jellyfish gene into a bacterium, but we cannot put together an entire DNA sequence from beginning to end. We are always borrowing from God's work and building on it. He has allowed this, and it is our responsibility to act ethically within the frame of knowledge that He has allowed us. In a way, I think that some people idolize the human intellect. We take credit for what we did not do and still cannot do.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Science and religion arose from two different but basic human needs..to know and understand why we exist and will we continue to exist. Once they attracted a following, the debate began about which was more empirical and necessary. Respect for both disciplines will advance the human condition in to the future as it has done in the past.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 9:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• religion does not rule out science and Science does not rule out religion. it is through the mercy of the creator that he allows us the understanding to know what we learn and to continue to seek knowledge of our universe it's a shame most deny they co-exists.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:08 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Nope. Religions is inherantly unprovable, and using an unprovable, unsubstantiated 'book' as an authority is ridiculous.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 5:35 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Very interesting. Let me ponder that a while.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• I think that is a very interesting statement. It definitely gives you something to think about. I don't necessarily believe that the two are mutually exclusive. I think that there is a great potential for science and religion to compliment each other.
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 8:26 AM on Nov. 26, 2010