CS Lewis - Quote - Agree or Disagree? - Comments?

"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. "
-C.S. Lewis, (1898 - 1963) author of The Chronicles of Narnia, The Screwtape Letters and The Great Divorce (and others, too).

flatlanderjenn

Asked by flatlanderjenn at 6:14 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Religious Debate

• i agree.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 6:19 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• agree, and FWIW I'm an atheist
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I agree. Either you're in or out.. not one foot in and one foot out.
    mz_erica03

Answer by mz_erica03 at 6:25 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I agree, for me it's an all or nothing deal.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:30 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• but the same could be said of most, if not all, other religions. If there is a force that created us and holds that much power over us, how could that not trump all other considerations?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:32 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• For me I agree, it's very important. However I accept that others feel just as strongly about their own beliefs.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I totally agree.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 7:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I'm not sure what he means here... do you think he meant if it was PROVEN true or untrue? Because if he were asking that question as it stands right now, it depends on whether you believe or not. As an athiest, I don't think christianity or any other religion is of importance because I don't believe in any of the deities the religions are based around. To someone who IS a christian, of course they think it's of infinite importance. And I suppose an agnostic could consider christianity "of moderate importance."
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 7:28 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I disagree. Even if it's false, it can still be of importance. It has changed a lot of people's lives for the better, whether or not it's true.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:32 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I think the same can be said of any religion... I don't think it's necessarily specific to Christianity.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2010