How do you get your spouse involved with your kids?

badmoparmom

Asked by badmoparmom at 6:18 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• My husband has always been involved with everything pertaining to our son. My husband still will get up in the night with him, take him to the potty, they have days where it is just daddy and Connor time, etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I never did. If he doesn't want to be he won't be - sorry. My experience has taught me you can't make someone do something they don't want to do. This is a particularly sucky situation, especially if the child wants his/her fathers interaction. Some dads just "don't get" the miracle and magic their children are. I don't have any magic answers for this one :'o(
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 6:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• When my kids where little my husband always helped out and was right there when I needed him. I would also go out shopping or for coffee when the kids where little so he had to take care of them. I figure if he helped bring them into the world then he can help take care of them. One thing I would say is if you are always thinking he isn't going to do things like you and you never give him the chance then he won't be involved. My DH doesn't do things the way I would, and that is okay. As long as the kids are okay and not in danger then I have to let him do things his way.

As they have gotten older we talk about what we can do with them and we try to make special time for each of them. Sometimes when I'm out my DH doesn't always do something with the kids and that is okay as well.

Not sure if this helped.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• My DH always plays with my kids! I mean I have a sonfrom a previous marriage ( who he raised) and together we have 4 daughters, and he comes home from work, and crawls around on the floor ,and wrestes with them and plays monster! At least twice a day, and he helps 50 % with their care when he isnt at work ( army) He reads at night and goes to all school events! truely believe that the man " father" needs to have the want to be active in thier lives! Good luck sweetie!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:49 PM on Nov. 25, 2010