Preschool

How do you if you have you child in the right prescool?

My son is in preschool and all they do is play. The teacher sends papers home for him to do as homework. This is the first time I'm going though this. Please help!

I can understand playing to learn but they don't. All they do is play me and his grandparents are the ones that teach him some of things he learns. Like his brithday and how to write his name his not learning this stuff in school. What do I do about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When I taught preschool the kids learned in class (a lot of times though play) and our "homework" was the at home portion of the weekly reader and the Book It Beginners program (for which I made book bags with projects to go along with the books to make them more fun). I would think if your child really is not learning at school he's at the wrong one - or has the wrong teacher. The other 4 year old class spent most of their day playing and doing religion, no really learning. )c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:29 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Our preK doesn't give much homework, unless parents request activities to do with their children, to individualize their learning. The one thing that strikes me is that you say all they do is play. Play is Preschooler's work. If they are using Play Doh, they are exercising their small motor muscles, to get ready to learn to write. If they are playing in a water table, they are learning science concepts, how water flows, how gravity works. It is the great teacher who points these things out. If they are playing in the kitchen area, playing I'm the mom, you are the baby, they are learning social skills and maybe (hopefully) nutrition. I am a nurse in a Prek, PM me if you want and we can chat some more. I have learned A LOT about teaching young children.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• A tremendous amount of learning goes on through play. Preschool is not for desks, daily lessons, etc. Google "nursery school schedule", or similar, and see if what you read about is similar to what your son does in his school.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• So what can I do. I mean his made friends. What they send home is papers with letters and numbers to do. They don't do anything but play!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:39 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• thats just it thats not the playing they are doing. If they were playing like that I would be asking but all they do is with toys inside and playing outside.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• play is how kids learn. i don't agree with homework at this young of an age... my oldest is in K3 and gets NO homework, but all they do is play, and learn while playing.
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Well, it should be structured play to introduce/reinforce certain concepts. Talk to the teacher and ask what concepts are being taught daily. They should be able to show you a program/curriculum that they follow.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:50 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• You CAN change the school, if you don't like what is happening. Check out other places in your area and see if you find one you like better that has an opening. Sometimes it's hard in teh middle of a year to find an opening, esp if your child is going to kindergarten next year. But YOU are in charge of this and if you think it is not appropriate for him and you can't work it out with the teacher/ director, go some place else. Good luck. I know we all want what we think is best for our kids.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I don't know how you know but I can tell you my daughter never has homework but always learns. They have free time but they also have a curriculum and she sends home a paper at the end of each week telling us what they will be working on the next. There is always a letter, number, religion and color. Even when they do play she is still working with them on the lesson plan.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 2:24 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• My DD learns a lot at her pre school. She's been doing wonderfully with letter and sound recognition, and writing her name. They are constantly doing crafts, stories, free play, calendar time, etc. It's a great program.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:32 AM on Nov. 25, 2010