What's the big deal?

My husband recently kind of threw a fit because my kids like watching Christmas movies. He told the kids that next year they are not going to start watching them until after Thanksgiving. I don't see what the big deal is? How do I bring this up to him that there are worse things they could be doing?

badmoparmom

Asked by badmoparmom at 6:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• What a scrooge!!!
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 6:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• In my family we have a firm rule to celebrate one holiday at a time. I understand your husband's point of view and support it. Don't be thinking about Thanksgiving until after Halloween, and don't be humming Christmas carols or putting up the tree before Turkey Day!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 6:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• oh blah...tell him just to get over himself. They are kids.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• It's hard to avoid when all the stores start putting up decorations, TV ads are already talking about Christmas, etc. You and he need to talk this over and compromise on what will be allowed. It's not a big deal to me, but that's just my opinion.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:40 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I think he just wants to celebrate Thanksgiving first. The stores go from halloween to Christmas there isnt much bout Thanksgiving.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 6:41 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• It desensitizes them to christmas. I'm with him. Find other things to do with your children than making the movies be your babysitter
    Anonymous

• Maybe you guys can work something out. Obviously he has some kind of holiday spirit which could be nice. Maybe he needs to express himself as far as how much it would mean to him that you all waited to watch Christmas movies until around Christmas(of course he is a dude, so the probability that he might express his feelings is far from reality - although some coaxing from you may work). Otherwise if he is just being a grump, maybe he needs a big hug. A big steak dinner?
    mommieGem

Answer by mommieGem at 6:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Well fundamentally I agree with him. I won't listen to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. I can not stand to watch a movie before the Turkey is off the table. But to be angry about it? No not really. I see his point but forbid the kids to watch them before the third Thursday is sort of funny.
    Have a talk and tell him just what you said. It is really just a certain feeling some adults have. I am with him. But talk to him..
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I agree with you! Of course this is a woman who has been listening to Christmas music for over two weeks (whenever the local station switched over lol) I love Christmas movies! My eldest not so much, but his brother is with me! I love this time of year! :o)
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 3:21 PM on Nov. 26, 2010