My daughter's first experience with the special 3 words...

Maybe I'm just freaking out a little since she is my first teen (15 to be precise). So, he said it to her and it was somewhat awkward. She did not reciprocate the words. I remember thinking I was in love at that age, but I just want some feedback from you mommies out there. Maybe I should ease off the worry, but I don't want things to get too serious.

mommieGem

Asked by mommieGem at 6:40 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Are we talking "I love you" from a boyfriend? My daughter just turned 16. Her feeling about relationships is that her friends are NUTS for wanting to complicate their lives. Two weeks ago, a good guy friend of hers told her (I don't know if he actually said the words or not) he really liked her and asked her if she'd be his girlfriend. She handled it beautifully. She told him she cared about him as a friend but didn't want to be ANYONES girlfriend right now. I say be proud of your daughter for having the courage to NOT reciprocate. Something else I've learned from having three teenagers before this one, you will have no control over how serious they get. If they're going to get serious and you don't want it they will find ways around you. The best thing you can do is help your daughter come to her own conclusions about if it's wise or not. You're a Mom, can you really ease off the worry? Open communication is crucial.
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 6:51 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• When my dd had her first real boyfriend the "I love you's" were said so often I don't think they even knew it. Yes, 15 is young for that, but I wouldn't worry too much. Watch her and see if her behavior with him changes, and if you haven't already have a conversation with her about what is expected of her and the boy in regards of dating, sex and everything else. No one likes having that talk, but start now and just let her know that she can always come to you with ANYTHING. I told my dd that I know I'm "just" her mom and she may not want to talk to me about some things, but I am the one person she SHOULD come to. Start talking and don't stop. My dd is now 17 and I still talk to her from time to time about some things, Good luck and don't freak out, this is just the first of many boys.
    '
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 6:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• When I was 15 I had been with the same guy for 2 years... And we did love each other very much. Part of me still loves him, and always will... Did it work out? Were we destined to be together forever? Were we soul mates? NO, No, No... But that didn't make the love any less real. Love at that age is very real, in fact I know a few couples who were together then and are today... I don't understand why you would be worried at all. It's normal, natural and healthy for people at that age to want to "pair up." If anything I would be happy she was honest with you and make sure that doesn't change as she gets older...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Let her enjoy that innocent emotion it is so awesome when you experience it for the first time. I had a boyfriend at the same age and discovered so many emotions that made me glow inside and out, this guy will always hold a special place in my heart, there is nothing like it ever again. yeah ease up mom.

Answer by older at 9:15 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• My oldest daughter is 18 and she is dating her first love, in fact, thats what she calls him, love!. Please do not freak out, but do continue to be a responsible parent and keep the relationship on a slow pace.... curfews, knowing where they are going for the evening, etc.
    nita43

Answer by nita43 at 7:07 PM on Nov. 28, 2010