what causes a baby to be to large?

the doctor is thinking that I will have to have a c-section because my baby may be to large to deliver. I dont have gestational diabetes or anything and both me and the father of the baby were small babies. I was wondering what causes a baby to be too large?

prego_jessi

Asked by prego_jessi at 6:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• How big is the baby? I'll bet you could deliver vaginally. Its not like 10+ lbs is it?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• they aren't sure, i had an ultrasound at 31 weeks and she was weighing over 5 lbs then
    prego_jessi

Comment by prego_jessi (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• They can be way off. i had an ultrasound a week before I delivered and the tech put him at 9.5 lbs,and he was only 7lb 6oz

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:47 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• oh wow
    prego_jessi

Comment by prego_jessi (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• They induced me because they thought she would be large. They were wrong.

It could be that your due date is off. They can be off by as much as 2 weeks. Also the measurements taken during an ultrasound are not 100% accurate.

I wouldn't opt for a c-section or an induction for this since it's not an exact science. also, many women have large babies vaginally without tearing or other complications.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:49 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• my dd was 9pounds 2oz and my mom had my bro he was 9pounds 8oz! both vaginally! i wouldnt do a c-section!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 7:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• There are about 135,000 cases of gestational diabetes in the United States every year. If you are one of these women, your placenta, which supports your baby's growth, produces hormones that make it more difficult to use the sugar in your blood for energy. The sugar begins to build up in your blood, and it is this increasing level of blood sugar that causes gestational diabetes.
    Gestational diabetes starts after the 20th week of pregnancy when your baby is fully formed and already growing. The extra sugar in your blood goes through the placenta to the baby. Since your baby is getting more sugar than he needs, the baby gets fat.

emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 8:28 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Emilysmom.. she said she didn't have GD...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• oh sorry , I didn't read it through.
    emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 8:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• ask for a second opinion including another US by a different group

with my ds who's 4 now the US tech and the Dr both made a mistake it was a coworker of mine who picked it up good thing too..they told me at August (early they would think about induction or section early Sept for a LGA-- I go my second opinion and an apology- my ds was born on his due date 7lbs 14 ounces they told me the week prior he was at least 8 pounds LOL
    I would have refused anyway b/c I do not believe God makes babies who dont fit mom... but I"m glad I was showing off my us picts that day at work 8 weeks earlier
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:22 PM on Nov. 24, 2010