Has anyone taken?

I was wondering if anyone has taken phenobarbitol i believe thats how its spelled while pregnant? I'm 38 weeks almost 39 and my doctor prescribed it for high blood pressure, he wants me to take it 3 times a day, and he told me that the pharmacist will tell me that it isnt safe to take while pregnant but its fine. I'm not exactly thrilled to be takeing something like that, just wanted to see if anyone has taken it while pregnant before.

prego_jessi

Asked by prego_jessi at 6:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I haven't but honestly, I would value a pharmacists opinion on drugs over a doctors. Since a pharmacist specializes in medicines and a doctor specializes in the human anatomy.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Oh, and I would ask a pharmacist what medication they would recommend for high blood pressure and see if your doctor would write the script for that instead.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:19 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• No, but if the pharmacist says it is not safe to take do not take it! They went to school to know that information and have a very specialized career unlike a doctor who has a wide variety of knowledge that most of the time is not accurate. You are due in a couple weeks. I say unless you are at serious risk or the baby is don't take it. Plus, you are considered full term. Why wont he just deliver?
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 7:21 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't take a barbituate that close to the end or even pregnant. Your baby could withdrawal from that after birth. I've honestly never heard of phenobarbital being prescribed for blood pressure control. I would take the pharmacist's advice and ask your doctor for a BP med.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:04 PM on Nov. 24, 2010