are you a sometimes single mom?

My husband of 15 years has always come and gone as he pleases, don't get me wrong, I love him to death, but sometimes I am jealous because I am the practical one and someone has to take care of the kids and the house. I work full time and am up at 5 am most days. He works full time also, but when he gets home, most of the time he sits in front of the tv. i do most of the disciplining, his idea of disciplining is they will get over it. Then I am left to do all the explaining as to why it has to be that way. He always wants to go out to the movies, now don't get me wrong, I like going out with him, I think it keeps the love alive, but sometimes I feel guilty about leaving the kids home. Any suggestions on how not to feel guilty for getting to spend time out with him? Is it o.k. to leave the kids at home?

badmoparmom

Asked by badmoparmom at 6:51 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• I am always a single mom. After all, I am divorced.

I don't have a man in the house that doesn't hold up his end of the bargain. That is different than being a single mom.

how about you go out without him and let him be a parent once in awhile. That way he will realize that being a parent is stepping up and teaching your children rather than letting you deal with it while he gets to be selfish.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:54 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• yep. my husband doesnt do anything with the kids unless it is "fun" ....
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 6:54 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I would do some "just us girl" times and let him be the one with them. Or, if you go out, leave them with a good sitter so you wont worry. Its normal to feel "guilty" but, you do need a break away. Its what keeps the sanity alive, not just the love in your marriage.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 6:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Well, I'm not in the same situation as you, but my husband works a lot. He recently got another promotion, meaning even more money, BUT even more responsibility. I hate it some days. I sometimes feel like a single mom who has no expenses. I don't have to support my family financially at all, but there are days where I do every single other thing for my child and our home.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I'm with my children 24/7! And my dh comes and goes at will. I do get frustrated with him not helping with the children or house. Although I am a sahm, he only works 14 days a month! And has a 7 day stretch off a month! But as far as me going out, I'd rather be with the kids. My friends and I do play dates, we chat and the kids play. I just don't enjoy doing a girls night out, I'd rather be doing family things. I do enjoy going out with my dh, but that's a rarity. He usually wants to go to a turkey shoot or karaoke. And I go with him, but it's a far cry from where I'd rather be.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 1:54 PM on Nov. 26, 2010