Hysterectomy and hair loss.....

I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago.I still have my ovaries and don't take hormones.I'm 34 yrs old.I noticed my hair is gradually thinning.I been to the dr and dermotoligist and had tests run and everything came back fine.Can women lose hair or go bald from having a hysterectomy or whats wrong?

alisha34886

Asked by alisha34886 at 6:57 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Health

• Did they do thyroid level tests also? Other than that IDK
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:22 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I am not familiar with anything like that. How about your mother/ grandmothers? Did they have thinning hair early? Check out Hystersisters.org (or .com, I'm not sure). They have a lot of resources surrounding hysterectomies.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I had a radical hysterectomy (every thing gone, including ovaries) when I was 27 in March of 07. Due to my illness' they can not put me on hormones. A few months after my hysty I noticed mine starting to thin out, then in Sep of 2008 it just falling out like it does from chemo but I was not on chemo then. By December 2008, I was completely bald and devastated to say the least.
    I started researching it myself & found multiple case studies, article's and other patient stories that say a hysterectomy can and does cause baldness in some women. A few different factors can help cause it, such as your body adjusting, post surgical stress/depression or from being post-op malnourished. It sucks! After reading everything on it I started to panic that it would not all grow back. But I am glad to say it is growing back now. If you need more help or have questions, please feel free to ask.
    Hope4Teal

Answer by Hope4Teal at 10:03 AM on Nov. 26, 2010