toddler sleep issues

My little girl is 2 1/4 and was always a great sleeper. We had a new baby and suddenly our toddler needed me to lie with her at night and at naptime, otherwise she wouldn't sleep. She would cry and cry and say the most heartbreaking things, but once I lay with her, she would sleep. If she wakes at night, she would cry and I have to go in and lie with her. It's reached a point where I am now sleeping in her bed. If the baby wakes for any reason, I try to sneak out of my toddler's bed, but sometimes she wakes and cries and wants to come with me to the baby's room. I have had it up to "here". How long is this going to last for and do you have any pointers on how I can break her out of this? Is it ok to let her cry it out at this age? How long is too long to leave her crying? please help.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like she is having a tremendously hard time adjusting to the new baby. I wonder if you could talk about doing something special the following day but you can only do it if she stays in her bed all night after you put her to bed. Make a new bedtime routine with a few more books (I am assuming you read to her at night) and lay with her for a little while. Talk to her and explain it is a new routine now and she needs to stay in bed when you kiss her good night. Remind her of the special thing you will do tomorrow. Also is there something of yours she could take to bed with her as a sort of substitute? These are the ideas running through my head. You could try a gate at her door too, but that might be a little drastic and would probably mean some crying. I would let her cry as a last resort after trying the other ideas. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I have said this to ppl time and time again, but the trick is making them tired.. also it's important for the child to not feel alone at those times, try getting a cuddle friend (Prefferably something that makes soft noises, or lights up) so that she feels someone is there with her.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 1:07 AM on Nov. 25, 2010