Is it okay to want my son to have a skin test?

I know that i should ask for one but I am so scared I have this thing where I don't want a doctor to probe at my son he hates doctors and crys every time one comes near. So what can I do to com his fears and My own

mommielovlie

Asked by mommielovlie at 7:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Kids' Health

• If he needs one, get him one. I know children can sense their parents fear and aprehension. Maybe you should try not to react the way you have been. It may make him want to be stronger.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• what kind of test do you mean?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:52 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• What kind of skin test?
    I have had to put my kids through a lot of medical crap this year, and they've been so awesome about it. It really helps to go through every single step to let them know exactly what to expect. It also helps to clarify what they're feeling "Does it HURT, or is it uncomfortable?" or once the needle is in "Is it still hurting, or does it feel scary?" Stuff like this helps them to know they are being heard and to calm them down and make things less scary.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:55 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I'm not really sure why he would need a skin test.. you'll have to elaborate further before I could give my opinion.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:49 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• he's going to feed off your fear... but i agree, what are you having him tested for?
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:02 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Just talk to your doctor about your concerns and your fears.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:24 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• If you are talking about a skin prick test for allergies, then no. Skin prick testing will only show a traditional allergic reaction. It can be traumatizing. If you think he has allergies, a Rast test is less invasive ( done by blood draw) & it can determine allergies & intolerances. Be sure to ask for a food panel too.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:07 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• The best thing is to discuss it with your dr. You can call just to set up a consult where you will have all the time you need to ask questions.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 10:54 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Actually my daughter had the skin test for allergies and it's not invasive at ALL. It took less than 2 seconds to do the test and there was no trauma from a blood draw.

If you have a suspicion that your child has an allergy of some sort, talk to the pedi...they'll know the best route to take (simple skin allergy test OR blood draw for a full panel workup)...but it's one of the things we, as parents, have to do...we know our kids don't like doctor's but we take them when they're sick...for their own good.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:38 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• why does he need one
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 8:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2010