My question got "closed", but I still wanted more answers. How do you arrange play dates w/ a 5 yr old when you don't know the parents of your child's friends?

Many kids in my area have been victims of sexual abuse, so not only am I afraid to let my child go to their house w/o me, but I'm sure other parents think, "Who are these people who want my child to go to their house?" It's a strange world we live in these days.

shortcut

Asked by shortcut at 2:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Assuming that you at least have their number to call them. Just arrange to meet at the local park, pool, McD etc. That way you get a chance to "meet" the parents while the kids go play....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 2:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• questions become 'closed' when you choose a 'best answer
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I would find other people that you are interested in having playdates with and NEVER leave your children alone with them. Playdates should be spent with the parents present in a public place (at least until you are more familiar). If you meet someone that you don't feel comfortable around then you and your children should stay away from them.
    mamastefl

Answer by mamastefl at 4:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• invite them over. the parents i mean. do it in the afternoon and have ice cream or something and be sure to specify that you would like her to stay. just say something along the lines of "with today, its hard to know who to trust, so i'd like you to stay until you feel more comfortable leaving him with me" if she doesn't wnat to stay there, well, then you know she's a bit careless wiht her child and is likely to be careless with yours as well.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 5:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I had chatted with a mom here and there when dropping our daughters off at school. When the time came to arrange a play date, I told her that I would be more than happy to get together as long as I was present. I was just honest with her and told her that I didn't know her very well. I also told her that I'd expect her to come to my house with her daughter for the first few times until we got to know each other.
    swrockhead

Answer by swrockhead at 5:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I agree with how swrockhead handled it. If the other mom is not comfortable doing playdates this way, then you'll find another mom more like minded.

There's a family at church with a son our son's age I want to get together with. I plan on asking them over or to meet us out someplace on a Sunday when we can coordinate it so both our husbands are there. Takes a lot of the pressure off of me.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• A friend of mine printed up business cards for her kids that had an email address and their first names. That way her kids could give them to friends and if their parents respond she can set up a meeting place or invite them over.
    LuvNMyBbs

Answer by LuvNMyBbs at 12:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• When my daughter (who's 5) wants to play with a new friend, I usually approach the mother and ask her if we can get together for a play date. Then we meet somewhere, like a park. While the kids are playing, I talk to the mom and if I find that she's someone that I enjoy talking to, I will initiate an invitation to our home for lunch and swimming in the pool. I have made a lot of great friends by arranging play dates for my daughter.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:55 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• We normally just call and explain who we are and that our child really talks about their child a lot and would like to have him/ her over. Only one time were the parent hesitant to bring their child to a strangers house... so then we offered to meet them at a playground.

I should add we live in a close knit school community, so there is a lot of trust that might be different in a different place...
    Anonymous

• Parents should organize some playdates in your community and meet the trusted families in our community. You can use the http://www.playdatepal.com to setup the playdates in yoru community
    mayakarin23

Answer by mayakarin23 at 11:57 PM on Jul. 26, 2008