my kids keep giving each other pink eye....any ideas to get rid of it for good??

ok, here's the situation. my 2yo had alot of green discharge coming out of his eyes one day so i took him to the dr. (it was a last minitue appointment so it was not our regular dr...it was his partner). the dr. says he has allergies and that caused his eyes to itch, he rubbed them too much and got a secondary infection. i was skeptical, but believed him lol. he did prescribe some eye drops. i did the eye drops like he told me to and the infection was cleared up within 2 days. then my husband gets it! he goes to his dr. and gets eye drops.....then the baby gets it.....now my 5yo has it (and the baby has it again). any ideas on how to get rid of it for good? i have been changing their sheets and washing their pillows....spraying their toys with Lysol before i put them away at night....clean their eyes several times a day with a paper towel wet with hot water (no, not burning hot, but it will not come off unless it is very warm)....i have been doing the eye drops as prescribed. what am i missing? any ideas?

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 8:11 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I agree with the others. Put everyone on the drops and have them wash their hands, wash their hands, wash their hands! Once they are sick of washing them, wash them some more. ;) Good luck to you, I hope you get this under control. I know it must be frustrating for you and them!
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 3:20 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• if you have one doctor put everyone on antibiotic eye drops at the same time you should be able to knock it out. we have had to do the same thing for other infections before.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 8:18 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Hand sanitizer frequently. Especially little ones rub itchy yes then touch someone else then they rub their itchy eyes... So on and so forth. I would treat everyone for a full week to make sure it gets all knocked out not just 2-3 days.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:18 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Hand washing and treat everyone at the same time til it is gone.. Keep doing what you are doing with the washing etc... Make sure the eye drops are for pink eye tho.. It may be the wrong treatment...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:18 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• well i called the dr. after i found out it actually was contagious and they said those eye drops they prescribed before are fine.

princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• try to get everyone on their script at the same time.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:51 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• our DR will put BOTH kids on the drop, no matter which one has pink eye, since it is so contageous, and my girls (2 and 3 years old) no matter the amount of hand washing, etc... they give it back and forth.
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:01 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Make sure each person uses the drops for the ENTIRE prescribed time, not just for a few days. Pink Eye is VERY contagious. Teach your kids to NOT touch their eyes and to wash their hands every time they touch their eyes. Other than good old fashioned hand washing, there is nothing you can do to prevent Pink Eye.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:50 PM on Nov. 25, 2010

• Are you breastfeeding? I know it sounds strange, but breast milk (put in the eye) cures pink eye. You could put it in both their eyes several times a day and then not have to keep putting them on antibiotics. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/114773/breast_milk_and_its_many_uses.html?cat=5
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:22 PM on Nov. 26, 2010