Need help with walking!

My daughter just turned 13 months old. She has been crawling and cruising since she was 7 months... but she will only take a few steps on her own. She also gets very frustrated when trying to walk on her own. If we try to help her she lifts her legs or lets them go limp. What can we do to encourage her??? Is this normal??

Anon344

Asked by Anon344 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LOL-Perfectly normal. And 13 m/o's aren't LAZY, hehe, they are a little "cautious" and "fearful" at times, but don't worry. She'll be there before you know it. Don't try to force it. She may not be ready yet. Also, after she starts walking, you'll notice in the next few months that she'll be falling a lot more. They say that's normal, too, because they are having to concentrate on so many things at once. Like, she sees a toy on a table, and she's heading for it, focuses so much on wanting the toy, that she forgets her legs are in motion. Also, their depth perception takes some time to kick in, so more bumps and bonks. But again, she's doing fine, Mama. Too soon to worry. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:55 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• dont feel bad my son is almost 16 months and does the same thing he lifts himself up and walks along the coffee table but when i try to help him he gets mad and falls to the floor i talked to his dr and they said if he aint walkin by 18 months then we got to go to a specialist
    yankeegirl87

Answer by yankeegirl87 at 8:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Can be totally normal my kids were 17 and 18 month walking.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• SOunds normal. My youngest has a feel of falling (inherited that from me) it took her forever to learn how to walk because as soon as she wobbled she would plot right down to keep from falling. Give her time. Maybe a favorite toy or a ball to try for. But don't worry, she is still doing fine, kids learn things in their own time.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:16 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• Do you use a jumper or things that will build legs?? Thats a good one, and just walk with her make her use you for balance not to put her wieght on.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 1:06 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• She has been using a jumper since she was 6 months. Her legs are very strong she can stand for a long time on her own its just the taking steps part. I don't know if its balance, or fear, or something else. She doesn't want help though when we try to help she gives up all together. I also think it might be laziness, she crawls so well and fast, I think walking is too slow for her so she gets mad and gives up.
    Anon344

Comment by Anon344 (original poster) at 1:12 AM on Nov. 25, 2010

• my 13 month old hasn't taken the first steps on her own yet, it will happen when it happens, she's completely normal
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:22 PM on Nov. 27, 2010